Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stories About Bikes For A Transport Topic

Hi everyone

I'm planning a topic theme for reception based on transport and have got ideas for stories about cars (e.g. Mr Gumpy's Motor Car), trains (e.g. The Train Ride) and buses (Please Don't Chat to the Bus Driver) but I was wondering if anyone knows of a story which includes a bicycle?

Thanks

Alou

:o

'Mrs Armitage on Wheels'- might be by Quentin Blake, he does the illustrations at least.

Really fun story, she adapts the bike so it us music, an umbrella, a place for snacks etc. Lots of great opportunity for designing and making a 'magic bike'.

I think the book is called Mine. A little girl and her friend are taken to the park by mummy after they have argued over toys etc. at home and everything the friend wants to play with the other child says MINE and stops her using the toy. Eventually they argue over the bike which then freewheels down the hill and breaks into pieces, punchline being the friend says YOURS! A good one for PSED shall we say!

Thank you for your suggestions! :o

Am thinking about setting up a Bicycle Repair shop as a role play corner - think it would appeal to the boys. Has anyone else tried this?

Alou

Edited by Guest

Ive seen something similar set up in an outside role play area in a nursery when I was on supply. It was popular with all the all the children and they brought the wheeled toys in to be repaired and had an office area alongside to write reports etc etc. They used the large wooden bricks to raise the vehicles off the ground slighty too although not high enough to get anyone under, for safety reasons.

Have fun!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)