Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Write Dance

Hi AishaKhan and welcome,

I bought write dance towards the end of last term. I'd heard it was really good but must admit I didn't really understand how it could work, but have to admit even though we have only done the first one so far, the children love it and I now get the whole concept of it.

Well worth investing in in my opinion.

Jackie.

Do you mean "write Dance in the Nursery" or "Write Dance"?

If you can get over the singer's voice in WD Nursery or remember to use alternate tracks which are instrumentals it's good. We have both but this year we are using nursery and WD alternate weeks.

Wk 1 sandy hill

Wk 2 volcano

Wk 3 Kringle Krangle

Wk 4 Walk in the country

etc...... as the second week focusses on the same movements with progression.

We also use our own music eg A whole new world (Disney Princess CD) is a good to combine our (the above) first 4 weeks movements.

We then use our own music for the Year 1's who need more on gross motor skills.

We scrimbled on Friday and it really show'd the children who had little or no pencil control.

Edited by Guest

Its write dance's name for putting the movements used that week onto paper.

You can scrimble in shaving foam, on wipeclean boards etc and do it to the music just as you have done the actions during the week.

We also do pattern marking too, to support WD.

Hi we have been using writedance for ever it seems, first i used it in reception then when i moved to nursery and have been using it for 4 years. The music in the nursery writedance is not good so we now have our own compailation of music from summer holiday, disney, take that, michael jackson, mamma mia and it goes on for ever-especially if some of the children come in singing a song. We have just fitted the movements to the music. Great fun and the parents enjoy coming in and doing writedance.

We use it and think it is great - especially for boys - they love the scrimbling part as it is so free and easy - 2 hands at the same time, any markers you fancy, big paper. The gross motor work leads perfectly into the scrimbling. We did a display for parents with photos and annotations to explain it as scrimbling was a mystery to them!!! LOVE IT!!!

I used it at playgroup too because some of our boys were reluctant writers when it came to paper. They loved doing this though! As others have said the songs are pretty dreadful and the singing really depressing. I was just getting to grips with it when I left but developing it with different music is a good idea. :o

I've tried to use Write Dance for the last few years, but always end up giving up - this is because the CD and the music listed in the book doesn't seem to fit! I always get confused about which track goes with each bit! I might try it this year using different music!

We have bought both (for Nursery and Reception) this year, but I have my doubts about it because the authour clearly states that it is meant for children aged 5 - 8. The Nursery book says it is for children 3 - 5 and the Reception one for those 4 - 6. Isn't this a bit contradictory to the author's words written in the introduction? Also, for those who then use the Nelson Handwriting the author sort of does not favour it. So, would there be a good transition? :o

watched a really good clip of this in action on teachers tv recently.

Hi,

I looked on Teacher TV and could not find the clip. Could you please send me the link.

Thank You.

I have bought Write Dance in the Nursery. It has not arrived yet and I am not sure how to use the CD.

The people that are using pop music, how are you carrying out write dance?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)