Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Diploma In Pre-school Practice

Guest kellyd

Not good enough - it's not like their courses are cheap either! :o

I have a staff member about to enrol........now I'm having second thoughts - don't want her to have 'out of date' course materials.........when you consider we are now into second year of EYFS.......beggars belief really......

I am mentoring two of my staff doing DPP through NEC and they have just been told by tutor not to focus on the EYFS development matters as it is not widely used....need I say more!

Mrs Whiff, have you had any guidance at all from your tutor ? I was sent a planing format as an example from the Staffordshire early years team, I will put in the link below, I was just sent page 3 of this document so you may find it helpful. I was alos told that you could use the child profile from unit 1 if the child was still with you and you where happy with it. So your profile would be SPIEL headings and then your planning is EYFS headings. I am using the 'fingers crossed' approach at the moment.

http://education.staffordshire.gov.uk/NR/r...FSinschools.pdf

The courses are certainly not cheap, thankfully I am fully funded and I will give the NEC my opinions on my feedback sheet at the end of the course. If I had paid for this course myself I would be even more upset. I know it shouldn't matter who has paid for it, I should complain anyway, but its hard enough as it is, finding time to study with outdated materials! and we are still worrying at my setting if we are doing the planning right or not - hence 'fingers crossed'. :o

Hi all

I have just finished the DPP and found it irritating in that my tutor also expected my planning to be as her example (old style)! Planning has changed with EYFS in that some settings plan retrospectively, some no longer do topics (hers did!) etc! I basically skimmed the whole of this option and read lot about EYFS to make myself familiar with it. I did the planning etc how my tutor wanted it/advised me to do ( :oxD:( :( ) but put lots of EYFS in it ie 6 area of learning, activities may change due to childrens intrests, added an evaluation section! Found it all very frustrating! Also NEC are advising the reading of books by the PSLA that for one are extremely expensive for a little booklet and two are actually out of print! They need to update themselves! Now just wondering if when CACHE get my planning assignment to mark if they will mark me down.

I must admit that I use this forum to gain lots of info and then I read child development books and the EYFS guidance and welfare docs. I think you may be able to see posts where I have asked advice previously about this unit!

Mrs Whiff, have you had any guidance at all from your tutor ? I was sent a planing format as an example from the Staffordshire early years team, I will put in the link below, I was just sent page 3 of this document so you may find it helpful. I was alos told that you could use the child profile from unit 1 if the child was still with you and you where happy with it. So your profile would be SPIEL headings and then your planning is EYFS headings. I am using the 'fingers crossed' approach at the moment.

http://education.staffordshire.gov.uk/NR/r...FSinschools.pdf

The courses are certainly not cheap, thankfully I am fully funded and I will give the NEC my opinions on my feedback sheet at the end of the course. If I had paid for this course myself I would be even more upset. I know it shouldn't matter who has paid for it, I should complain anyway, but its hard enough as it is, finding time to study with outdated materials! and we are still worrying at my setting if we are doing the planning right or not - hence 'fingers crossed'. :o

Vicky, can I ask you the name of your tutor as the above sounds very very familiar. Spookily familiar infact.

Tracy.x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi i have also started this course in september and feel the same lol, Although i am doing in via an evening class its still only 4 hours contact time, and we only meet every other week, I have to had in unit 1s assignment in 3 weeks and have only done section E2 :o

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kelly as i said in my post before i'm doing the same course, i kinda feel i maybe more helpfull now but idk lol

I have just handed in my unit one and get my draft back on wednesday :-S and am now doing unit 3 which is the cache marked one.

When I first started I found it very daunting and it took me ages (and i good few posts) to get into my first assignemtn and get the idea of what i was doing lol but fingers crossed i got it.

I found it helpfull to get the books from the reading list to back up college, also i found they were really helpfull for the assigment.

IDK if its any help but i have attached my bibliograpghy,(i hope the attachment worked anyways lol) the 2 penny tassoni ones and the practice guide for the early years foundation stage (free from the government were best) althoug as i don't have my grade yet IDK how effective they were lol but they helpedme understand it alot better.

hope my babble helped you feel better lol. Goodluck.

Bibliography.doc

I am mentoring two of my staff doing DPP through NEC and they have just been told by tutor not to focus on the EYFS development matters as it is not widely used....need I say more!

OMG lol my Tutor told us it didnt matter if we used no other texts as long as we knew and under stodd the EYFS, the NEC course is expensive too thats rubbish

Waheyyyyyyyyy!!! :o

I've just finished and posted off the external assignment for Cache Unit 3!!!!!!!

What a huge relief to get that one out of the way. I won't hear anything back for ages (I missed the October deadline so its not gettin marked until February!! xD) but to be perfectly honest I DON'T CARE!!!! I'm just so pleased its done.

One more unit (and only one more assignment!) to go.

Keeping everything crossed! :(

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Kelly as i said in my post before i'm doing the same course, i kinda feel i maybe more helpfull now but idk lol

I have just handed in my unit one and get my draft back on wednesday :-S and am now doing unit 3 which is the cache marked one.

When I first started I found it very daunting and it took me ages (and i good few posts) to get into my first assignemtn and get the idea of what i was doing lol but fingers crossed i got it.

I found it helpfull to get the books from the reading list to back up college, also i found they were really helpfull for the assigment.

IDK if its any help but i have attached my bibliograpghy,(i hope the attachment worked anyways lol) the 2 penny tassoni ones and the practice guide for the early years foundation stage (free from the government were best) althoug as i don't have my grade yet IDK how effective they were lol but they helpedme understand it alot better.

hope my babble helped you feel better lol. Goodluck.

Bibliography.doc

Thanks thats really helpful I'll definitely look into those government publications x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)