Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Looking For The Best Way!

Hello, I know its only been the first week back!!!! From now we have changed our opening times and open 8.30 - 3.30, but we do still offer 9 - 3 so as you can see we have children coming in at different times and going home at different times...this is fine and is monitored well.

What Im looking for and asking for your opinions is:

How do you send children home...do you have the parents waiting outside the building and you call the children to get their belongings then send them out?

or

Do you have parents ring the bell and they come in and organise their own children and take them? (with a member of staff present!)

What do you find works best and why?

Don't know if this will help.......

We unlock our main door 5 minutes before end of session - parents then enter the building but wait outside our room (does that make sense?).......

We then see them out to their parents one at a time.........

Another staff member is always 'stationed' by the main door to double-check that everyone leaving has a parent/carer with them and marks them out on the register......

Works well for us....

We bring the session to a close, sing our goodbye song and then I open the main front door and the parents wait by the inner door and we call the children out to the parent one by one, they are timed out by another member of staff on the register. Those that are staying on then follow this with lunch club or whatever, until we carry out the same goodbye song etc. again.

Our parents have to wait in our waiting area then when door is opened one member of staff calls children one at a time and makes sure they go to parent, a second member of the staff is also at the door who signs them out on the register. Remaining members of staff help children to carry pictures etc. and make sure no-one does a "runner" towards the door. Hope this makes sense.

We bring the session to a close, sing our goodbye song and then I open the main front door and the parents wait by the inner door and we call the children out to the parent one by one, they are timed out by another member of staff on the register. Those that are staying on then follow this with lunch club or whatever, until we carry out the same goodbye song etc. again. quote panders...

This is what we do too, except our parents have to sign their children out as well as a member of staff, and we put a memebr of staff at the door to prevent untimely escapes, although it's a little chaotic and I'm consdering staggering pick/lunch drop off; we'll see how it goes after a couple of weeks; why do parents insist on standing in front of childrens drawers and chatting for extensive lengths of time? We have a big garden, security gate, the weather's been good...I feel a new notice coming on!

Sam

Edited by sam2368

We have a member of staff at our door who calls the children when she sees the parent. Parents sign their children out on a register.

One particular parent bugs me when he pokes his head in the door and calls for his child and her cousin to come, notwithstanding the fact that we have already told the children not to run towards the door but wait until their name has been called. :o

Quite chaotic sometimes especially during the terms when we have 25 children in each session.

At playgroup, after the goodbye bit, the main door is opened and the parents all come into the hall where the coat rack has been positioned next to the paint/craft rack so they can collect work. A member of staff on the door ticks out each child as they leave the building.