Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition From Childminder To Pre-school

I've a 3 year old who is about to start pre-school but is continuing her normal hours with me too. I would normally complete transition records to go to the new pre-school and also the EYFS forms that allow myself and the setting to talk to one another about the child. However this is the first time I've had a child start a pre-school which is not local to me and I don't pick up and drop off from, so to all intents and purposes I have no dealings with the pre-school. As the child will be spending 2 days with each of us it makes sense to have some form of communication but it doesn't seem practical. What do other people do in this situation?

Many thanks for any ideas.

You could have it all in a book which travels between home, pre-school and your setting with the child which you can all contribute too. That would creat a really comprehensive picture of the child for you all to see.

Edited by Upsy Daisy

Thanks that's really useful and we may try that. By coincidence I actually met the head of the nursery today on my EYPS course so we had a chat and I'm going over to visit them and we're going to arrange some form of regular communication. So hopefully all solved!

Hi Madson

I have a child with me who attends an other setting on days they are not with me so don't do pick ups . I have visited it and meet key worker but they weren't very keen on doing much so I have devised a form which I send in via the parents at the end of each term. It has things like learning goals for next term, what child has achieved during this term, what child has enjoyed doing etc on it. It is split into 2 on one side I write in and the other the key worker. As far as I now they copy it so they have a record then parents bring completed form back to me - Ofsted said it was good

I just wanted to say to you both that I wish I had childminders like you near me. I keep trying to get them to share information but they don't seem bothered at all. I hope the settings you are working with appreciate it better.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)