Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nappy Changing Schedule

Deb

Hi

Can you tell me how you manage nappy/pull up changing in your setting. I have a policy. I wondered how you actually ensured that children in nappies or pull ups are checked and how frequently.

Do you have a set time when all nappies are checked or is it down to the keyperson to prepare a personalised schedule for their key children. What if the keyperson is not there? Do you have any forms you would be willing to share?

Thank you.

Key persons have a list of personalised changing times for the young children in their care who are in nappies or ‘pull-ups’.

Most places I've been in have two main nappy times either for checks or changing (11 and 2) and other change as they are needed. The set times can sometimes interfer with the childrens play so I'd personally make this as unobtrusive as possible, just a quick snif or feel to check wetness rather than everyone having to down tools and march to the changing area.

:o

We are in a pre-school sessional care setting and this is done whenever needed i.e if soiled immediately, and we can usually tell if a nappy/pull up is very wet simply by the look/feel of it through a child's clothes

We're a pre-school but work pretty much as Rea describes..... we change 'around' 11ish or immediately if soiled. we try not to pull the child away from play.......but the time fits well with out routine to help avoid this.

We have a rota rather than just key-peraon changing - but again we are a long-standing full -time team and the children relate well to all of us, although if a new child is only comfortable with certain staff we do accommodate this need.

Have to say this year we have very few nappies for this time of year.......and the few we do have are 'left overs' form last term....if you get my drift.

xxxxx

we asked parents how often they changed at home... and how often they checked and worked out a schedule with the parents as to when or how often to check the children.

we did this as one parent complained we had not changed a nappy, (to big O not us!) and we had checked them before story at end of session, but was wet when they left 5 mins later! so we did a partnership approach and they then realised they did not actually change that often at home so why should they expect us to change the children all the time.

and big O said we should check every hour at least and change the second they were wet! Practical? do parents do this? hence our parental partnership bit!

Inge

We're open 8 - 6, so change (or at least check) 10.00 - 10.30, 1.00 - 1.30, 3.30 - 4.00. Though we change in between if we sniff anything of course.

We have recently taken to writing it down if a child has been checked and not changed as we recently had a parent complain that their child had not had their nappy changed when in fact they had been checked and it was dry. Now we have the evidence to answer any such complaint in future

By the way, I attended a cousre on toilet training a while back which was brilliant - the most practical and useful training i have ever attended. It was led by someone with a medical background who said it takes at least 2 hours for the bladder to fill and then to empty. Therefore there is no point in pestering a child to constantly change or sit them on the potty. I would personally say to the big O that this is the case and checking every hour would just disturb their play and frustrate them!

Gruffalo2 :o

Could I ask a question on this issue?

Where does everyone change the child, if the child is tall and heavy

Is it on the floor on a changing mat and if so where ?

Thanks

PVI in church hall,

only place we could do it at any time was on the floor, on a changing mat in the toilet.

we had a bag with all needed in it to use out there, changing mat, gloves, cleaner for mat and floor if needed, etc.

Ofsted happy with this, parents made aware of our facilities and arrangements...

Inge

We also changed children on a changing mat on the floor of the toilets. When I went on my manual handling course the chap taking it said we should avoid lifting heavy children by ourselves wherever possible.

Hi

Can you tell me how you manage nappy/pull up changing in your setting. I have a policy. I wondered how you actually ensured that children in nappies or pull ups are checked and how frequently.

Do you have a set time when all nappies are checked or is it down to the keyperson to prepare a personalised schedule for their key children. What if the keyperson is not there? Do you have any forms you would be willing to share?

Thank you.

Hi Deb we are sessional and we check children after snack mid morning Marshie

The nursery I worked in asked the parents as they dropped the children off when they had last had their nappies changed, they were then changed on a individual basis when each child needed changing rather than having set times during the day.

It is then up to the key person to care for their key children, checking and changing them as required. If the keyperson is off then another key person will take over the responsibility for the day.

I have known settings who meet in church halls change children on a mat on top of a table. They also had a set of steps (like the sort you can get to reach high shelves in a kitchen with just 3 steps) so the children could climb up themselves, but carefully supervised of course.

I too have been strongly told not to lift a child over the avarage build of a 2 year old.

Gruffalo2 :o

Our nursery is open 7:30am - 6pm.

We have specific nappy change times as a guide but not neccessarily to stick to. Our times our 9-9:30/11:30-12:00/3:00-3:30 (and then checked there after if staying at nursery until 6pm) And of course changing any overly wet ones in between and soiled ones.

Our nursery follows a rule of making sure the childrens nappies are changed every 3 hours, to keep in with Ofsteds 4 hourly guideline rule.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)