Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Time Sampling

Upsy Daisy

I need to record and evaluate six obs on one child for my FD. I have chosen to observe the 12 month old baby who is settling in with me.

I need several different types so I am looking at time sampling. I can find lots of information on how to record them but I can't actually see what useful information they would give me. I am a childminder and only usually have one baby at a time so I know what that child is doing throughout the day anyway. I can't even really see how they would be useful when observing older children.

Does anyone use this format regularly? What does it tell you. What situations is it helpful for?

We use time sampling to look at what activities a child is accessing over a period of time, and whether they are spending longer at one activity than others. We look at the quality of their involvement using the Leuvern/Laevers scale and from this we can ascertain how best to encourage either further learning, or involvement in similar activities, or communication with others etc.

This is mainly for the 2 - 3 year olds, by the time they are 4 it doesn't really tell us as much as just asking, so we use the general obs.

Hope this helps

Hi. Cait,

Thankyou. I hadn't thought of linking it to an involvement scale. That makes a lot of sense for toddlers.

Still not sure it will tell me very much about the baby but I suppose I can reflect on that when I have to evaluate my own learning at the end.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)