Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help :(

I could really do with some ideas. Ive got a member of staff that i really dont know what to do with.

She is..... dozy really doesnt cover it, shes finished her level 2, we arent willing to keep her on for her level 3, but shes with us for another month now, and im getting so frustrated. she just never thinks and when she does, her reasoning is so random. She either doesnt ask, or asks too much... theres no middle ground, and she doesnt seem to understand when its explained to her, no matter who explains it. she nods and says the right thing, but a week later we're back were we started. Shes not lazy, and doesnt have an attitude, shes a lovely girl on the whole, but what can i do?

Thanks,

Ali :o

I wonder if you need to try working on what she can do and what she is good at.

Could it be that she is trying too hard and taking on more than she is able? If I was her I think I would be feeling rather stressed.

If she has put the work in to attain a level two she has made an important commitment. What could you do to help her to succeed? Perhaps give her some very clearly definend but very simple responsibilities which she is very capable of fulfilling? Then celebrate her success.

I think I would look at what she can do and build on it just like I would for a child.

Good luck

I agree with Upsy Daisy. Perhaps she is is lacking slightly in confidence in her abilities to do what is asked of her. Gaining a qualification on paper doesn't always mean that you are sure of yourself. When I got my L3 I had all this knowledge in my head but it was experience that has made me more confident in my abilities. Don't know if this makes sense!!

I agree that finding something she is good at may boost her self-esteem and may be an acknowledgement that she can indeed do this job.

I wish you well....good luck! :o

Have you been able to notice her which is her learning style? If so, then that could help to see which are the best ways to help her out. If she is a visual learner, words will only make it more difficult for her. Hand on is always helpful, together with any other learning style.

She sounds just like my foster son. We've discovered that he has a limited ability to 'listen', (his hearing is fine). Basically 'every' time he is spoken to, especially if he thinks he is being asked something, or will need to 'think' about something and respond, he tends not to listen because he is too busy trying to think of what he will say in response. This results in his reasoning being very random. He also consistently asks 'silly' questions ( I try not to use that word with him), ie: Our grown up son visited with his new dog, the conversations were about his dog and him training him etc, after about 15 minutes of his arrival my foster son asked me "Is that his dog?" :o . Most every question he asks he knows the answer to.

He's lived with us for 2 yrs and still asks where plates or cutlery goes away when clearing the draining board.

Initiative is limited too. He also 'gives up' very easily if he finds anything the slightest bit challenging.

He has low self esteem, lack of confidence, fear of failure. He also tends to tell white lies, showing a need to be 'included' by pretending he has common ground.

Sorry, gone off topic, more about my Foster son than your staff problem................................................just want to let you know I empathise and that severe lack of confidence may be the reason.

Patience, give lots of praise, give her things to do because they are something she wants to do, not because there is an expected end result (ie; unconditional), grit your teeth and answer all her questions with a smile (draining, I know, but if you ask her "what do you think?" to her own questions you'll get randomed reasoning responses and further exasperated xD )

and definately agree, emphasise her qualities, let her do the things she is good at. :(

Peggy

would it be helpful to ask the girl to make a to-do-list at the start of each session?

its hard to write down a list of jobs if you dont understand whats been asked I mean she cannt just stand there and nod and say she has understood so in asking her to keep a to-do list she has got to demonstrate that she understand what has been said. it also helps because taking the time to write down what she needs to be doing during the session she is recording the information deeper into her memory, instead of just listening and noding, as she writes she is visualising her tasks on the paper which helps to clafify what has been said to her, and a to-do-list gives her a "point of reference" she can go back to the list to check what was asked of her

the only problem with a to-do-list is that if something that needs doing isnt on the list would she have the sence to think "add that to the list" or would she just stick to her list? ( I have member of staff who would say "its not on the list" to get out of doing a job)

I can empathise with dozey I am not the most focused stay on task person and I find when there is alot going on its hard to concentrate on what I am doing because im constantly looking at what else is also going on around me

• 1 month later...

Just thought i would keep you informed.

We tried talking to the staff member in question, and the other senior staff too. Shes been with us now for over a year and completed her level 2. In that year shes made no holistic improvements. In some areas she seemed to show an interest and do really well at that, but 5 minutes later we were back to square one. After a lot of discussions it was agreed that she likes a lot of attention, and has shown no scope for consistent improvement, and we didnt believe that she was capable of fulfilling the requirements for the level 3, or the responsibility of a level 3 position. It will be sad to see her leave, but we're at a loss to justify her position, especially since due to her age she would have been earning a lot more than the other level 3 trainees and having to be supervised more.

I agree that staff should work in the areas they are strongest at, and be given support in the others, but what else do you do when you realise that someone has come as far as they can, and there's just no money to pay for someone to only do what they are good at?

How sad that it has come to this - but as you say sometimes when things are just not working it is time to cut your losses and move on. I hope that she will be able to leave with no ill feeling and that you all part on good terms.

Managing staff is a never ending source of material to reflect on and lessons to learn - hopefully you can put it all behind you now and move on too, knowing that the decision has been made.

Will you be recruiting for a replacement? If so, good luck!

Maz

We are all on good terms, and will keep in touch. She really is a lovely girl and will leave a gap in the team that wont be easy to fill. But its just not enough sometimes.

We have taken on 2 new trainees for a probationary period for their level 2. So far they are fitting in nicely and have started learning how the team works and contributing to it.

I find the training agents to be the most frustrating part of it. The Assessors signed this girl off on things that they saw her do once, and she gave acceptable knowledge answers for, and yet she's unable to apply this knowledge consistently on a daily basis. This information was shared with them, and we asked for their help! They decided not to recommend her for level 3. Then a few weeks later, the girl approaches the person in charge of signing up for level 3, and he agrees without recommendation from either Assessor or placement! a practise which they have now changed, but still her hopes where up from that xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)