Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Steiner Wins Opt-out From Early Years Curriculum

Got this info today from cypnow.

HERE

The school has been granted exemptions from all communication, literacy and language targets, and any goals related to the use of ICT.

I think this is really positive as it shows that principles can be fought for and acknowledged. :o

What do you think?

Peggy

This seems like a really positive move to me. It is good to know that if an educator has a clear theoretical justification for the curriculum they are delivering its value will be acknowledged.

I wonder if there will now be an increase in settings who use the Steiner approach so that they also may apply for exemption? There are lots of people who feel that we introduce formal literacy too early.

This will be very interesting to watch.

Edited by Upsy Daisy

That is very interesting Peggy....thanks for the link.

When I studied the Steiner approach during one of my FD courses we discussed this very thing and wondered how they would overcome the ICT goals.

Isn't there an option for parents to opt out of parts of the EYFS too. I seem to remember it being discussed here before......unless I'm imagining it!! Must go and look.

While there is sometimes a tendency to introduce formal literacy in early years I would have thought this would be in Reception classes rather than in pre-schools. I thought Steiner is an approach used in pre-schools rather than in Reception classes (please correct me if I'm wrong) and so would not imagine an increase in settings using this approach.

Very interesting though and will be watching this development.

I thought Steiner is an approach used in pre-schools rather than in Reception classes (please correct me if I'm wrong) and so would not imagine an increase in settings using this approach.

Doesn't Steiner go all the way up through the National Curriculum key stages? One to research, I think!

Just had a quick look - it says here that Steiner schools go up to 19! Wonder how the national curriculumn affects their practice higher up the key stages?

Maz

Steiner goes all the way through but kindergarten lasts till the children are 7 and this is when they introduce reading and writing and maths I think. Computers generally aren't used until upper school.

Doesn't Steiner go all the way up through the National Curriculum key stages? One to research, I think!

Just had a quick look - it says here that Steiner schools go up to 19! Wonder how the national curriculumn affects their practice higher up the key stages?

Maz

The NC isn't statutory in Independent schools which was part of the Steiner argument against the statutory nature of EYFS. Many saw it as the beginning of full state control over the curriculum.

The NC isn't statutory in Independent schools which was part of the Steiner argument against the statutory nature of EYFS. Many saw it as the beginning of full state control over the curriculum.

I'm sure Richard House is dancing a jig as we speak. Thanks for the explanation - I knew you'd know the answer!

Whilst on the Steiner Foundation website my eye was caught by the headling "Tories to fund Steiner education?" - have a look here if you're interested!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)