Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childminders Taking Foundation Degree In Eyfs

Hi all

i am a childminder beginning my degree in september on a one day a week basis... can anyone offer advice as to how childminders find it difficult or different to adapt to this course as to say nurseries> any replies from childminders would be great!! but any advise is useful xxxx

Hi,

im sure there are lots of childminders out there that will be able to advise. we had a few on our FD and they managed ver well. Also when we did BA HOns there were some. I think the main problem they had was everything was about them as they worked alone not part of a team - but they did it - good luck :o

As hali said, the childminder on our course found that a certain level of creativity was necessary in order to write some assignments because she essentially a lone worker. However your course tutors will be aware that you're a childminder and will be able to advise about how you can fulfil the criteria of the course and any assignments especially where they are about teamworking/leading others etc.

I hope it all goes well - I'm sure you'll find it enjoyable and challenging in equal measure!

Maz

Hi stepz5678,

I am a childminder and I have just completed the first year of my FD. I am the only childminder on the course and I have come across very few obstacles. When we were looking at analysing our team roles I looked at other groups I am part of like school PTAs.

I have made moves to rejoin the local childminding network as this will help me with evidence of working with colleagues and improvements in my practice, so if you are not a member of one look into it. (I just need to find the time to fill in the paperwork!)

During discussions in college I find that most of the time I just contribute a different point of view which is a great positive.

I did enlist the help of a friend who runs a nursery when I needed to look into multi-agency working and a child with additional needs. I had no experience of either in my own setting but I would have been allowed to make the whole thing up if necessary.

I have found the college staff to be extremely supportive of my position and have had no real headaches about it at all.

Good luck with the course.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am a childminder and I completed my Foundation Degree last August. I found being a childminder was not an obstacle, just had to think some of the modules through from my angle as opposed to group settings and found that I generally as the 'autonomous' practitioner did all the roles that came up within assignments, so in some ways was easier to work it into my practice, for instance reflection of changes etc. Some of the other students ie. teaching assistants who had no say in their own setting found they did not have the flexibility that I had.

I got a merit for my degree and have just completed my B A top up in Education and Childcare - got a first!! have done three months teaching in college Foundation level students part-time as well as childminding and start teaching part-time again next week, plus have just got a position as placement monitor/liaison officer for the students to support them when they are training within settings and start my Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector tomorrow morning. !

I am mentoring a childminder through her Foundation Degree, have done this for a couple of years now with others, if I can be of any help just let me know.

Good Luck

Well Tues 15th is my first day at Chatham... to say I am nervous now is an understatement. I just dont know if being a Childminder is going to cause me problems on my course. Any ideas anyone as to how I should approach this?

Please Please!! do not leave the country lol I have this feeling that I might need a mentor, so if you have an email address you wish to exchange with me that would be great.

Hi

I am a childminder and I completed my Foundation Degree last August. I found being a childminder was not an obstacle, just had to think some of the modules through from my angle as opposed to group settings and found that I generally as the 'autonomous' practitioner did all the roles that came up within assignments, so in some ways was easier to work it into my practice, for instance reflection of changes etc. Some of the other students ie. teaching assistants who had no say in their own setting found they did not have the flexibility that I had.

I got a merit for my degree and have just completed my B A top up in Education and Childcare - got a first!! have done three months teaching in college Foundation level students part-time as well as childminding and start teaching part-time again next week, plus have just got a position as placement monitor/liaison officer for the students to support them when they are training within settings and start my Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector tomorrow morning. !

I am mentoring a childminder through her Foundation Degree, have done this for a couple of years now with others, if I can be of any help just let me know.

Good Luck

Hi all

i am a childminder beginning my degree in september on a one day a week basis... can anyone offer advice as to how childminders find it difficult or different to adapt to this course as to say nurseries> any replies from childminders would be great!! but any advise is useful xxxx

I am a childminder who has completed the first year in the foundation degree in education and care. I would say be prepared for thinking "what have I done?" for the first few weeks! After that things settle down and it can be a great experience .It can be a challenge particularly if you are the only childminder on the course as I am, but it is really interesting learning from other people within the group. The sense of achievement you will get when you pass an assignment is second to none. It can't be that bad as I am going back for the second year next week! Good luck

I am curious here, what will happen during my first say couple of weeks... I am prepared for the "what habe i done" scenario lol because I am thinking that now and I havent even started. Thanks for getting back to me, I am sure if I stay in touch with this forum then I will cfalm down.

I am a childminder who has completed the first year in the foundation degree in education and care. I would say be prepared for thinking "what have I done?" for the first few weeks! After that things settle down and it can be a great experience .It can be a challenge particularly if you are the only childminder on the course as I am, but it is really interesting learning from other people within the group. The sense of achievement you will get when you pass an assignment is second to none. It can't be that bad as I am going back for the second year next week! Good luck

debsnlittleangels ....... Will you mentor me? if I get into a tizzy over all of this?

Please Please!! do not leave the country lol I have this feeling that I might need a mentor, so if you have an email address you wish to exchange with me that would be great.
Edited by Guest
the Forum PM's can be used to make personal contact

I am curious here, what will happen during my first say couple of weeks... I am prepared for the "what habe i done" scenario lol because I am thinking that now and I havent even started.

You will have moments of panic and completely forget that everyone else is feeling the same.

I have found it hard to keep asking people to explain when conversations turned to things which only come up in group settings and at first the tutors forgot that I was a childminder and might need to do things slightly differently. Once they got to know everyone that problem evaporated and it has been no harder for me than anyone else.

I found the induction day completely terrifying and thought everyone apart from me was totally prepared. I was wrong. I've made some really good friends and sometimes enjoyed the fact that I can tackle assignments from a slightly different perspective. In fact I am posting this comment instead of tackling an evaluation which I should be doing right now!

Don't forget that it is the tutors' job to support you so they will help you find ways round anything which is a bit sticky.

Joining the FD course was one of the best decisions I ever made and I'm sure you will feel the same once you are in there and know what you are dealing with.

:oxD:(:(:( .Well first day is over!!!! I am actually keen to go back for week 2 lol

You will have moments of panic and completely forget that everyone else is feeling the same.

I have found it hard to keep asking people to explain when conversations turned to things which only come up in group settings and at first the tutors forgot that I was a childminder and might need to do things slightly differently. Once they got to know everyone that problem evaporated and it has been no harder for me than anyone else.

I found the induction day completely terrifying and thought everyone apart from me was totally prepared. I was wrong. I've made some really good friends and sometimes enjoyed the fact that I can tackle assignments from a slightly different perspective. In fact I am posting this comment instead of tackling an evaluation which I should be doing right now!

Don't forget that it is the tutors' job to support you so they will help you find ways round anything which is a bit sticky.

Joining the FD course was one of the best decisions I ever made and I'm sure you will feel the same once you are in there and know what you are dealing with.

• 4 months later...
Hi

Good Luck

Hi

Are you still available to offer advice / guidance? You answered one of my questions in the forum back in Sept 09 and if you are still able would it be possible to ask for advice from you? I have to write two analytical reports....1500 one of one aspect of KEEP which i am choosing working with parents and the wider community and one on promoting indepence learning. I have gathered a lot of research/date but I have no clue how I go about beginning this ...I do not know what a report looks like although we have been given guidance on titles etc...but I feel like a tiny needle in a huge haystack and very lost. Any advice?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)