Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Vygotsky/piaget In A Nut Shell

Hi all,I hope you have had a super xmas and are looking forward to the new year.

Im wondering if any of you can help me on summing up vygotsky and piaget in a nutshell.I have an assignment which has to be handed in after xmas,but it's all so wordy!!!Help,help,help-please.

Hi Louise, in a nutshell eh? Piaget...believed that children learn from doing, adults give them materials and allow them to discover, at which point new materials are introduced to move them along to the next step. Vygotsky...kind of the same but the adult was seen as a facilitator in the childrens learning, where as Piaget had the adult as an obsever, Vygotsky believed adults were needed to aid the childrens understanding. He said 'what a child can do today with help, tomorrow he can do unaided.'

Hope thats a help, no doubt others will be able to add more, good luck with the assignment :D

Hi Rhea,

Thank you for replying to me.You have been a big help in answering my question.

Can you tell me though where you got that quote from Vygotsky though?

Much appreciated,Louise :o

Not exactly sure where that comes from, but it's probably lots of peoples definition of Vygotsky's theory that here is a 'zone of proximal development' ZPD. He defined this as the distance between the most difficult task a child can do alone and the most difficult task a child can do with help. If you get chance to visit the library try 'Theories of childhood:An introduction to Dewey, Montessori, Erikson, Piaget and Vygotsky' by Carol Garhart Mooney. That gives a pretty good overview. Found it!!

I did my course with the PLA their student handbook (1996) had some stuff about the theorists, and this is where the Vygotsky quote came from.

Try this too

The quote is from 'Mind and Society' translated in 1978.

When looking at Piaget re Vygotsky remember that Paiget said that children go through clear stages of development which are 'in built'. Vygotsky and Bruner on the other hand emphasise social interaction and culture as part of the learning process. They all agree that active learning is crucial.

Well said Jacquie :D

Just a thought Louise, where I've underlined things, It's not clear that you should click on them, that will take you to different sites that may help. I was so astonished the links worked I didnt explain properly. But you probably knew that :D

Piaget was big on assimilation leading to accomodation; e'g a child with a rattle - the rattle is a feature of the environment, the baby accomodates or adapts his behavioural responses to use the rattle. It also assimilates the rattle by using his previous experiences of things that i grab to use this new item and develops his framework of understanding: the schema.

All I can remember of Vygotsky was the ZPD !!

Not sure if that helps but it made me think about things I haven't consciously thought about in 20 years!!