Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ensuring Curriculum Coverage Of Elgs

KST

Hi, I've just finished my NQT year and I'm in the process of changing my schools current long and medium term planning. For my long term planning I have continuous provision sheets and a page which has all the seasonal and cultural events I want to cover with possible topics. I thought I would scrap having a plan that shows which ELGs and development matters statements we will cover in which terms because if we are supposed to be planning to individual children surely we can't know which objectives we will cover when?

For my medium term plans I thought I would include possible adult led activities, ask the children what they want to learn and record it and then fill it in as we go to record what we have covered based on interests of children. I thought I would put on this plan which ELGs we cover as we go through (filling in retrospectively).

I guess what I'm worried about is that I'm not sure how I can ensure that we have covered all development matters statements/ELGs - can anyone suggest a way to monitor it, like should I highlight which ones I have covered or does it not matter if we don't cover them all?

Presumably we will also plan activities to meet gaps in the profile that become apparent throughout the year?

I have a grid which shows the development statements and I put a tick by them when I've done some retrospective plan notes to show that they've been 'covered'. I'm not overly comfortable with it though, mainly because it's for ME rather than the children - after all, 20 of the children may have covered it and the other 14 haven't been remotely interested and been doing their own thing whilst it was going on. I'd say don't panic overmuch - sometimes you get a gut feeling that something has been missed out - you'll suddenly be made aware of something like children not aware of totals remaining constant however they are split and you can have a fun activity planned for that specific outcome.

Hope this helps. I'm Preschool so it's probably easier for me! Hopefully Catma will be along to help out - she's far better qualified to answer this sort of question for teachers than me!

I have a grid which shows the development statements and I put a tick by them when I've done some retrospective plan notes to show that they've been 'covered'. I'm not overly comfortable with it though, mainly because it's for ME rather than the children - after all, 20 of the children may have covered it and the other 14 haven't been remotely interested and been doing their own thing whilst it was going on. I'd say don't panic overmuch - sometimes you get a gut feeling that something has been missed out - you'll suddenly be made aware of something like children not aware of totals remaining constant however they are split and you can have a fun activity planned for that specific outcome.

Hope this helps. I'm Preschool so it's probably easier for me! Hopefully Catma will be along to help out - she's far better qualified to answer this sort of question for teachers than me!

Thanks Cait, that is helpful. I guess its good to have a guide for us to know we have offered an opportunity for the children to learn based on the development matters, whether the children cover it is another case!

Have you thought of looking at it from the perspective of the aspects within the areas of learning? That way you can highlight those you have worked within over the year and adapt your contexts for learning to include gaps in attainment as you go along or equally adapt provision too. Remember, coverage doesn't necessarily mean learning and some elements like PSED ones are about the ethos that is promoted rather than direct teaching per se!

E.g. there are 26 aspects across the 6 areas - 6 PSED, 5 CLLD, 3 PSRN, etc etc (I'm missing my EYFS file as I gave it away to a friend!!) So by mapping which aspects you are covering in Autumn 1 you can see what you might need to do next in A2 or do more of based on your analysis of assessments.

By looking how your work is covering these, you can track the key content of your learning rather than just by the attainment of a diverse group of children. You can see how your coverage is linking areas and aspects and plan for the MTP from your analysis of gaps in learning. So you might see that your children aren't progressing within the Time or Place elements of KUW - that can be built into your next plans or used as a dimension to enhance children's input. You can fill in in advance if that makes you more secure or retrospectively too. You will differentiate according to your own assessments of where children are within that aspect so the day to day planning will be more targeted.

Hope that makes sense!! I don't have a copy of my grid here I'm afraid but it is just the 26 aspects down the side and 6 terms across the top. Tick to indicate inclusion as an element of learning/teaching that term.

Cx

Have you thought of looking at it from the perspective of the aspects within the areas of learning? That way you can highlight those you have worked within over the year and adapt your contexts for learning to include gaps in attainment as you go along or equally adapt provision too. Remember, coverage doesn't necessarily mean learning and some elements like PSED ones are about the ethos that is promoted rather than direct teaching per se!

E.g. there are 26 aspects across the 6 areas - 6 PSED, 5 CLLD, 3 PSRN, etc etc (I'm missing my EYFS file as I gave it away to a friend!!) So by mapping which aspects you are covering in Autumn 1 you can see what you might need to do next in A2 or do more of based on your analysis of assessments.

By looking how your work is covering these, you can track the key content of your learning rather than just by the attainment of a diverse group of children. You can see how your coverage is linking areas and aspects and plan for the MTP from your analysis of gaps in learning. So you might see that your children aren't progressing within the Time or Place elements of KUW - that can be built into your next plans or used as a dimension to enhance children's input. You can fill in in advance if that makes you more secure or retrospectively too. You will differentiate according to your own assessments of where children are within that aspect so the day to day planning will be more targeted.

Hope that makes sense!! I don't have a copy of my grid here I'm afraid but it is just the 26 aspects down the side and 6 terms across the top. Tick to indicate inclusion as an element of learning/teaching that term.

Cx

Thank you so much Catma! Definitely think that will work well for me, don't know why I didn't think of it myself!

KST x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)