Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Speakers/visitors

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you may be able to help!!!

I would like a visitor to come in to school for my final teaching practice though I am unsure about arranging this. Do people do this sort of thing voluntarily and is it easy to set up?

:o

Hi Peaches

thats an ambitious undertaking! You need to have in mind exactly what you want to get out of this and what sort of person you need. Then you probbaly need to ask in your placement school for permission and see if they have any contacts etc.

Sorry I cant be more specific as Ive never actually arranged anything informal like this!

Thanks Susan,

We shall be looking at 'hearing' for a period of time and so thought it would be good for the children to know about deafness and sign language. I was thinking of inviting someone in for this. Its ambitious but its one of the requirements for the placement ! :o

Hi peaches,

Go for it!! When I worked in a pre-school, and to a lesser degree, in my current setting (day Nursery) these kind of 'spontaneous' arrangements are a great success and we do them all the time!

Whilst I know they're not really spontaneous at all (lots of hard work goes into organising and planning etc!!) they aren't in the normal run of things, but the children do get such a buzz out of visitors! In my old pre-school we had a local Councillor who was also blind - she loved visiting schools, pre-schools, anywhere, really, and we all loved her and her beautiful guide dog.

It might be a bit of a slog, but it will be worth it, but do as Susan suggests, check any pre-existing contacts, could save you work!!

PS, I'm interested, what's the placement, with that sort of requirement?

Sue :D

I would consider contacting the lcoal branch of the NDCS (national deaf children's society) or any school in you area with deaf children.

Alternatively look up adult ed courses in your area and look for sign language classes, and ask to see the tutor. Even better if you are thinking of learning to sign yourself.

Hearing dogs for the deaf are always looking for places to take their dogs in training. Why not contact your local branch. You could also raise some funds for the group and present it at the same time as the visit.

It is quite a requirement Sue R, I know! The placement will be my 6th and final one. It's part of a BA hons Primary Education 3 yr degree.

I love the idea of raising funds for the group Mimi, I only wish I had more time as the placement begins in Feb. Will definitely keep that in mind.

Visitors are always enjoyed by the children, we regularly use the local st john Ambulance division who come in and spend time with the children, they taught them how to bandage legs arms etc, and how to roll a bandage correctly etc, lot of hands on experience for the children who now use it in their role play.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)