Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You Know A Great Poem?

I need to plan a poetry writing session for a family group of 30 children from Reception to year 6. I'm looking for a great poem that the teacher can read to this group and that all the children will be able to respond to at their level.

The Magic Box by Kit Wright would work really well as children would need to think of what they would put in their magic box and use vocabulary at their level / draw pictures / decorate boxes etc - but I don't know if there's a single class in the school that han't used this poem before!!

Any ideas for really accessible poems that can be differentiated interestingly and effectively?

I need to plan a poetry writing session for a family group of 30 children from Reception to year 6. I'm looking for a great poem that the teacher can read to this group and that all the children will be able to respond to at their level.

The Magic Box by Kit Wright would work really well as children would need to think of what they would put in their magic box and use vocabulary at their level / draw pictures / decorate boxes etc - but I don't know if there's a single class in the school that han't used this poem before!!

Any ideas for really accessible poems that can be differentiated interestingly and effectively?

PrimaryClassroomResources do resource packs roughly based on the Magic Box There is a Wizards Pocket poem Cinderella's slipper and red riding hood's basket

http://www.primaryclassroomresources.co.uk...-Poem-Pack.html

I like Michael Rosen's Chocolate poem

Hi there

how grerat that someone's doing poetry. It can be so neglected and I love it!

Adrian Mitchell wrote a really good book called 'there's a poet behind you' all about the 8 secrets of writing poetry. It contained some great ideas and may be of some inspiration. Hope this helps. :o

I like Michael Rosen's Chocolate poem

Oh! How funny - I clicked on the thread title to suggest exactly that one! I was looking for it a while ago and found it hard to find though. When I did it, I gave each child 2 chocolate buttons to hold tight in their hand and they weren't allowed to open their hand until the line in the poem says so. Good discussion afterwards with the older children about melting too!

i've just bought the Usborne Book of Poems for Young Children which has a good choice of poems old and new and many that I remember from my childhood. There are probably many in there suitable, but there is one by Roger Mcgough ( a personal favourite) which would be very suitable, The Sound Collector. It would stimulate a lot of discussion, vocabulary, music making, favourite sounds, listening walk, adjectives, composing a similar poem perhaps with a different setting, and thinking what it would be like to be deaf.

Some ideas here http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/english/soundcollector.htm

I think if you google it you will find a lot of resources for this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)