Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Investigation Area Resources

I would really like to have some of these

http://www.mindstretchers.co.uk/cat/MT/SWttub.html

for my investigation area but they are way too costly for me to slip past the treasurer! Has anyone seen anything similar but cheaper or has anyone got any ideas how I could create something similar?

(I'm avoiding the SEF by just planning out the way to implement everything I intend to put in as things I plan to aim for!)

Thanks!

Sorry I should have added that the great things about these are:

Their height which is lower than our tables

their stackability

and their ability not to be tipped up within five minutes

If I could get my dad to cut out holes in some cheap low tables to slot the bowls into that might work... thanks for the suggestion.

Another good one! I am off to get showered and go to B&Q to search out cheap stuff! But I won't be buying today so any other suggestions gratefully accepted! I'm so stuck on the expensive things I can't think outside the box as it were - thank you.

I'm thinking Ikea too. Not allowed to go today but I'm building up a shopping list for there too! Could even find something in the OOPS section as it will only get scratched/bashed.

Only thing of warning about cutting into a coffee table is that the bare exposed wood would not be water tight and very quick absorb, water, expand, split, smell. You would have to use a waterproof boat varnish to make the inside edge somewhat protected. Sometimes quick cheap fixes (and I'm a fan) don't work out cheaper in the long run.

I really like the product and buzzing with ideas of how they could be used especially outside.Anything in a camping shop?

sounds like a plan to me! no ikea round here, and I have never been to one!

Ikea is not for the faint of heart when it comes to shopping - it is a true shoppers experience, my husband, having gone once refuses to step inside the place again - he likes to see what he wants, buy it and leave - this is not on the remit of Ikea

I was going to suggest the twin sand/water tables that where everywhere last summer in the suppermarkets B&Q, wilkos for about £19.99 not very big but ideal for popping discovery items into (I was thinking if you buy two S/W tables and have 4 sections to fill with stuff)do you think I can find a picture anywhere???? no chance!

ELC have something similar but its go the sand wheel in the middle which spoils the open ended "doesnt have to be used for sand and water" idea

That's a good idea Alison, we have one of those, you don't have to have the sand wheel in, that is something that goes in when you assemble the whole thing. However, that would leave a few holes for children to push stuff through.....

I was going to suggest the twin sand/water tables that where everywhere last summer in the suppermarkets B&Q, wilkos for about £19.99 not very big but ideal for popping discovery items into (I was thinking if you buy two S/W tables and have 4 sections to fill with stuff)do you think I can find a picture anywhere???? no chance!

ELC have something similar but its go the sand wheel in the middle which spoils the open ended "doesnt have to be used for sand and water" idea

i bought something like that from Argos for my youngest Grandaughter - that was last year though.......

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Could I ask - what sort of things do you put in your investigation/ discovery/science area?

I'm in a reception class and that is one of our areas to be developed this year.

Thanks

Edited by becs08

After posting this topic looking for cheaper versions of the titchy tubs I am now planning to use low tables as I found so much I can use in this area during my mega cupboard clean. I have a whole load of shells and pebbles, magnetic blocks, a globe, transparent coloured paddles for looking at colour mixing and some plastic magnifying glasses. As it will be the first time we have had this area as free access I'm starting with this and planning to extend it according to childrens interests and seasons. Amazing what you find when you clean out the cupboards though!

Hi

Could I ask - what sort of things do you put in your investigation/ discovery/science area?

I'm in a reception class and that is one of our areas to be developed this year.

Thanks

There was a thread on this recently - not sure how to post links but someone cleverer might put a link for you. Or a forum search should find it. We're going to have huge land snails in ours this year, amongst other things.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)