Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Registers And Other Important Things

Okey dokey ... right then

How long do we keep registers for - have heard advice ranging from a term ... 3 years .... til the next inspection ... 10 years... until the child is 21 ... for 21 years ... :o

Doesn't seem very clear!

Need to know about registers / child records / accident forms / medication forms

If it is 21 years is there anyone in the southeast who'd like to go shares on a warehouse?! (LOL)

Help me please before I either file too much or throw something away that I shouldn't do!

Many thanks my lovelies

pw xx

OOh, that's clever.

How do you deal with signing in and out during the day then? Is your computer in the main area or do people have to come in past you?

thanks

pw

Hi pw - I am going to try to help!!!records_retention.doc

If that has worked I'll eat my hat!

Crikey ...so good I did it twice! Off to find my hat now!!!

Edited by sunnyday

I'm very interested to know how you do it on the computer too. With all of this flexibility i'm keen to find something accurate and manageable for September, which still allows me enough time to spend with the children!

I do the register on the computer in an excel document and simply diagonal border in the boxes to indicate attendance and double diagonal, both ways, to create a X if they are absent. We have a paper register that is on a clipboard that children like to take and that's the one we grab if we have have to leave quickly. Children self-register with their name badge on the magnetic white board when they come in.

I have to say that it's a system a friend designed - why reinvent the wheel!?!

post-23722-1249055421_thumb.jpg

Edited by Possum

We are planning to scan all the original paperwork into the computer and make CDs of each year as we go along. That way we still use the paper copies of stuff day to day but after the year ends we can reduce the storage requirement and shred those. I say "plan to" because I haven't actually got round to any of it yet. My current treasurer did mention he does the same with his business paperwork so I might delegate the job to him!

I do the register on the computer in an excel document and simply diagonal border in the boxes to indicate attendance and double diagonal, both ways, to create a X if they are absent. We have a paper register that is on a clipboard that children like to take and that's the one we grab if we have have to leave quickly. Children self-register with their name badge on the magnetic white board when they come in.

I have to say that it's a system a friend designed - why reinvent the wheel!?!

So do you record the exact time on the paper copy?

I'm trying to find a system which means we're recording exact times of arrival and departure, although I think the paper copy scanned is looking like the most efficient way of storing past registers long term, and the paper copy is the most practical for grabbing in case of fire/emergency etc

Friend had an Ofsed Inspector a couple of months ago who insisted that the exact time of arrival and departure of each child should be recorded, so that's how we do it on a paper copy, 9.15 so and so, 9.17 someone else, etc., we said in the past oh we open the doors at 9.15 and they all come in, actually, the proof is in the reading of the register and this is not exactly so! How this info would really help anyone prove anything is beyond me, but it is simple to do and easy enough to comply with so if it keeps Mrs. O off my back I will do it. If a child leaves during a session for any reason we write the time out and record the reason why, same for members of staff.

Edited by Panders

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)