Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Accidents

Buttercup

yes i am sure you should have done, when i worked in a nursery we had a similar incident and it was reported...OFSTED were knocking at the door for an inspection less than a week later .

samfrostie :o

oh no that what puts you off telling ofsted anything however small.

A child fell off our climbing frame and broke his wrist - I informed Ofsted and they wrote back saying they had my information on file and that if they needed to know more someone would contact me. Haven't heard anything.

Mind you, we had another accident at the end of term resulting in another broken wrist, so I'm wondering now if they'll be descending on us at some point next term?

And another thing: I think it says in the welfare requirements that it is an offence not to inform them - might be worth checking!

Maz

oh no that what puts you off telling ofsted anything however small.

yeah it does but we were due one anyway--this might have just made them come a bit quicker or it could have been a coincidence we weren't sure!! Anyway it was just an accident so we had nothing to worry about :o

I've got a 'publication'....it's at my setting not here unfortunately...think it's called 'When to inform Ofsted'....can't remember where I got it from.........teachernet maybe?!

Honestly.......if anyone finds a 'brain' can you please send it back...it's mine! :o

Sunnyday

One of those things what constitutes a serious injury? so could be argued. As usual nothing specific.

But if Ofsted told us that then we'd know as much as they do, wouldn't we? Our LA interprets that as being any accident where it is necessary for a child to go to hospital - although I'm not clear whether this would include a child who went to hospital but was given the all clear when they got there.

Maz

all has been recorded in accident book probably a bit late for ofsted as it was 3 weeks ago now

Have you talked to your Local Authority for advice, Buttercup? I'd be a bit concerned about the failure to notify Ofsted being an offence - perhaps you should check it out!

Having said that, how would Ofsted know there had been an accident and you had failed to nofity them? :o

I sent off the notification of the second such accident in my setting this term - am waiting for the wrath of Ofsted to come down upon my head at any minute... xD

Maz

Illnesses and injuries

Registered providers must notify Ofsted of any of the above events and of any serious accident, illness or injury to, or death of, any child whilst in their care, and of the action taken in respect of it. Notification must be made as soon as is reasonably practicable, but in any event within 14 days of the incident occurring. A registered provider who, without reasonable excuse, fails to comply with this requirement, commits an offence.

this is said in the EYFS welfare requirements.

samfrostie :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)