Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journeys And Key Person

Hi Strawberry10, and welcome to the forum. I'm Preschool so can't really offer much advice specific to reception, but I know there have been some conversations in the recent past.

Try a search by clicking on 'search forum posts' at the top of the page

If you can't manage, come back and I'll have a look too

Hi Strawberry10, and welcome to the forum. I'm Preschool so can't really offer much advice specific to reception, but I know there have been some conversations in the recent past.

Try a search by clicking on 'search forum posts' at the top of the page

If you can't manage, come back and I'll have a look too

Thanks for your help, I'm just giving that a go. I'm sure I'll find the discussions eventually!! Not very good at this yet!!

Hi strawberry and welcome to the FSF. I too work in pre-school so unable to offer any advise on this occasion. However, I am sure there will be someone along very soon who can give you their pearls of wisdom! You will soon be addicted to the forum,

it's an amazing place full of helpful fellow practitioners :o

dottyp

Hi strawberry, welcome to the forum, make yourself at home wont you?

Have you seen this from National Strategies about Key Person in reception?

I presume that maybe you are in reception for the first time? It is worth seeing what is in your school in place already if there is anything. If not, have a look around the forum and look at different formats that members have donated or suggested. It is also worth checking if your LA has a format that you are expected to use.

You will also need to think about what you put in your learning journeys and how you manage them. This is one of the most difficult things to think through in reception especially if you don't have any support.

Come back and ask further questions once youve had a look at a few examples

Hey

I am in a reception class and have key persons. I will try to explain what we do....

My class is split into 2 groups (trying to equally split ability/behaviour etc), I am set as the key person for one group and my nursery nurse has the other group. We are incharge of filling in our journeys and checking childrens moving on steps ourselves but communication is the key. I do find it hard as 'the teacher' to not want to know all the kids and how they are getting on so we often relay information. We write observations on all children and have a chart to track the areas we have missed children etc (it is a simple tick list with the children and areas on it).

We do split off into our key groups for some things like circle time but we also swap groups to make sure we know all the children etc, I feel this does work and helps when it comes to reports etc.

Our school chose to employ nursery nurses in reception to allow them to help with learning journeys as they are paid more than TAs and also have more hours allowing them more time to fill them out. Before we had nursery nurses it was a struggle to keep upto date with the whole class and it does def help but I do realise it is not possible for all schools to take this step.

Good luck hope it is of some help and you understand what I mean lol

x

I am the key person for all the children in my class (last year 21, in September 19). I have one TA in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. We explored different possibilities but decided it was easier for me to be key worker. Both TA's are fantastic at collecting evidence for learning journeys, completing observations and both help in updating learning journeys on a weekly basis. It works really well and we all feel we know the children and their next steps etc.

Thank you all for your responses, they are very helpful. I have been working in year R but am new to leading the year group. I was just interested to hear how others are fulfilling these requirements as I feel we need to improve on what we are currently doing.

Hey

I am in a reception class and have key persons. I will try to explain what we do....

My class is split into 2 groups (trying to equally split ability/behaviour etc), I am set as the key person for one group and my nursery nurse has the other group. We are incharge of filling in our journeys and checking childrens moving on steps ourselves but communication is the key. I do find it hard as 'the teacher' to not want to know all the kids and how they are getting on so we often relay information. We write observations on all children and have a chart to track the areas we have missed children etc (it is a simple tick list with the children and areas on it).

We do split off into our key groups for some things like circle time but we also swap groups to make sure we know all the children etc, I feel this does work and helps when it comes to reports etc.

Our school chose to employ nursery nurses in reception to allow them to help with learning journeys as they are paid more than TAs and also have more hours allowing them more time to fill them out. Before we had nursery nurses it was a struggle to keep upto date with the whole class and it does def help but I do realise it is not possible for all schools to take this step.

Good luck hope it is of some help and you understand what I mean lol

x

Thank you for this explanation as to what you do. I found it very helpful and like the idea of having smaller number of children to assess and observe. When does your nursery nurse do the paperwork and how do you liase?

Redbase :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)