Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Book Corner

Hi

Can u help? Need to refresh a tired book corner but don't have any cash to spend on new furniture. Have about 2m x 3m area with a small table, 4 chairs and a book box. Want to make it a really encouraging place for children to enjoy reading and looking at books. Any ideas please? :o

Redbase

We have a small velcro board with laminated pictures to support books we have been reading. Also a basket with props for stories that have been told recently.

We don't have a table just a large mat with cushions of various sizes. I think of where I feel most comfortable when I am reading-in bed or slouched on a sofa. I would think this would apply to most people, including children.

See attached photos of our book area.

Linda

post-99-1248382339_thumb.jpg

post-99-1248382364_thumb.jpg

post-99-1248382390_thumb.jpg

Lovely photos. Am just revoering our cushions for the book corner, have lots of books, and a display of topic based books. Wish I could help more, but my book corner is constantly turned into a doctor's waiting room/examination room by the children, so am also listening to the ideas here.

A selection of puppets is always good. Our (Reception) children like to have a little basket of books labelled 'I can read' with easy readers in. We have the small world area right by the book corner so children can get out props to act out and tell stories.

Non fiction books and props are always popular. Also, writing materials on a table are a helpful addition.

I think the main thing is a coy, hidden away feeling though.

with 'littlies' we tend to keep writing materials away from books for obvious reasons, but as yours are older then that shouldn't be a problem. Could you staple up little booklets of white paper so they can make their own?

Im creating a book corner in my reception this year (nqt) i got a bargain large white voile canopy from ikea sale and will put cosy cushions and a rug in there as well as a small bench seat. i also think i will put cd player in their aswell and some headphones after reading this thread.

The books are on a trolley, and i will change the books regularly so that i can be sure that they are high quality. There are too many books out at the minute and not really a cosy area to sit and read so this was high on my agenda!

xx

In my reception class this year, I had cushions, soft toys, sparklie material to cover old chairs and fairy lights above entwined through a canopy I made from 8 canes tied together and suspended above the area. The children loved having books we had made as a whole class project e.g. Mini beasts and visit to the farm. Hope this helps :o

wow kathyscitt that sounds fab!!!! i don't suppose you have a photo do you? I'm looking at redefining my book corner in the playroom and thinking bed canopy with either floor cushions or ikea bath mats or both! Like the sound of the fairy lights though!

Jennie

I'm having a dilemma! I'm looking to get some sort of bed canopy to hang in the conservatory with cushions etc underneath to establish my reading corner in my playroom and I have been offered one

this is the description....it is pink and dark pink with light pink meshy sides and pink tie backs which are flowers

Would you say Ofsted would look down on me for this with it being pink ant being as appealing for boys and do you think the boys will be put off from using it?

Or do you think that both Ofsted and the boys will be fine with it or should I get a more unisex one?

Thanks Jennie

could you dye some bits of it blue?

would boys be attracted to a canopy anyway? I've never had one so can't really express an opinion

Edited by Cait

I agree - actually it might look great dyed lots of different colours - you could do some tie-dyeing all together - great - just given myself ideas now..................

now this might sound off topic but we have three colours of cups pink red and Yellow and all the boys choose pink and the girls argue over the yellow, so why not have a pink canopy I think its an older boy thing to say "yuk pinks for girls"

soft cushions(are there any other kind?) teddies and puppets I think are key ingredients to a book corner, canopies make a nice screens if there is somewhere to hang them? check out Ikea on high street rather than catalogues, we have a large soft toy as well to cuddle

also check the location is well lite and warm our book corner was in the dullest draftiest place in the room and we wondered why it wasnt bing used much if you have no choice where to put it then maybe look at lighting and cosy blankets to add that extra snugglyness(if thats a word?)

Wow!!!!

What a lovely, generous bunch of people you are and thank you so much for all your fab thoughts and ideas. I've been on my hols this week so sorry for not responding earlier. I will process them all and will be in touch as to how my book corner progresses.

Redbase :o

Edited by redbase

No, me either - but it only takes one boy to say 'I'm no using that cos it's pink..' I've some great photos of some boys dressed in faiy dresses being 'power rangers'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)