Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Are Committee Officers Legally Liable?

anju

what if the setting went backrupt or a parent sued for some reason - would the management committee members all be individually liable?

can they take out insurance to cover for this? or is this where registering as a charity would protect them?

thanks,

A

Edited by anju

Hi, if you're a PVI committee run setting, then I don't understand why you're not also a registered charity. Are you sure that's not the case?

We had this issue a while back and took out the additional insurance to reassure committee members that they weren't giving of their time and then going to get sued for the pleasure!

Yes all committee members (at that time) are legally liable. If it was something that happened four years ago then each named member of the committee AT THAT TIME would be liablle. as part of our insurance we have Trstees & Officers protection. I think - esp in this day & age- it's an absolute must.

Edited by lynned55

thanks for the replies.

i am sure we should be a registered charity as we have an income (mostly from nursery funding) of far more than £5000 per annum. but we are not registered as a charity - the committee members do not think it is necessary so it hasn't been done. i have told them i'm sure it is compulsory...

perhaps I will suggest they look into additional insurance - we have public liability but not sure exactly what it covers.

I would phone the PSLA helpline if I were you, they are very helpful and should be able to answer your concerns (and would know about the charity thing too). Although we are members, they didn't ask me for any details so I'm sure they would answer general queries if you're not a member.

Here's the number: 020 7697 2500

If you do fund raising for your setting, I'm sure you'd need to be a charity wouldn't you?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)