Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sleep Policy

What is everyones thoughts and policies on children sleeping, after reading the article in Nursery World 9th July 2009 regarding a nursery been given an action as they had not let a child sleep.

Welcome bennettt (ooh extra t there! my maiden name otherwise!)

We are happy to let children go to sleep but we have 2 - 5 year olds and sometimes we have to consider whether their Mum would be happy to have spent the session fee for their child to sleep. So unless it's within half an hour of the end of the session we'd always phone to let them know their child was asleep. Sometimes we are prewarned - we've had a bad night and she missed some sleep so if she nods off give her half an hour or so if you can.

Having said that, we do get 2 year olds who are in all day, and we let them have a snooze if they want to after lunch for half an hour or so - of course many of them don't want to - lunch just peps them up again!

Yes I'm rethinking our sleep policy too; bit of a dilema isnt it.

We allow the under 2's to sleep whenever they want and for however long. The 2-3's generally all need a nap after lunch, previously we let them sleep for as long as they wanted, however, we all know some children will sleep the clock round (indeed I could given the chance!), and we found that they were missing out on valuable playing/learning time. Some parents did comment and say they didnt want them sleeping all afternoon. We put a note up saying that all sleepers in the 2-3's would be gently roused from 2pm and asked for parents input. All parents were happy with this and the children manage really well, obviously if they are very sleepy we leave them for another 20 mins or so or if they went to sleep late we dont wake them till later.

I did question how we were meeting the needs of the child by doing this but then came up with this explanation for if ever I am questioned by Mrs O; I will say, "we wake them because if they sleep longer and don't go to bed easily at home then the parents will ask us not to allow them to sleep at all during the day, therefore we will not be meeting the needs of the child but the needs of the parent; by rousing them from 2pm onwards I believe we have reached a compromise and are meeting the needs of the child"

Do you think Mrs O will wear it?? Hope so!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)