Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self Registration Ideas?

Any ideas for a self registration chart - we currently stick velcroed flowers onto stalks in a wondow box but feel like something new - help!

We put name labels out on table and children put in appropriate container. We use Sparklebox labels, lots of different ones, and change half termly usually to something to do with topic. E.G. transport shapes put in dumper truck, fish shapes in fishing net, spiders in witches hat or piece of drain pipe (nursery rhymes!)

In past we once used 'How I feel today' posters. Children moved name to relevant poster (happy, sad, excited, frightened etc) am/pm. As well as registration also sometimes helped to raise lunch time issues or highlighted special events children were looking forward to.

Hi

I have taken a photo of each child and put them into notebook software on the interactive whiteboard. The children press their finger next to their photo, to make a dot, to show that they are here.

Helen

I use the IWB. I have a picture of a house with all the children's names on (great for name recognition!) and a picture of the school logo, the children move thier name from the house on to the school logo. The children love using the board and have mastered queing and turn taking as well as name recognition and simple ICT skills.

xxx

The children have their name and logo laminated credit-card size with a magnet on the back. They put these up on a magnetic whiteboard and then, if they want to, write their name on the whiteboard alongside.

We have a register on a clipboard (the one we run outside with in fire drills) which children like to take, calling each child's name and ticking them off. We have also tried the children writing their name on the laptop as a registration list - but found that parents weren't 'allowing' the children to do this on their own.

We have name cards with picture on (picture begins with same sound as their name, e.g. Lucy might have a ladybird, and is same picture that is on their peg label). Children put their card into the basket which shows the lunch they are having (school dinner, packed lunch or going home).

We have laminated names that the children put into a glass on the window sill ready for snack time...doubles up as a snack register then.. :oxD

We make handprints on their first day, add small photo and larger name (to encourage name recognition), laminate and velcro them. They are stuck onto a board, in rows of 10, later used for counting in 10's and even bonds to 10 when they look to see how many children are missing. We count childen in circle, does it match number of hands, take turns to read out any 'leftover hands' to see if anyone has forgotten (recognise each other's names). Lots of different uses.

Hi.

I try to promote writing skills in self registration. The children have their name laminated o a piece of card and every morning when they come into the classroom they have to copy their name into their own registration book. Its great practice for children who cannot write their name. :o

Sparkle1,

Your method of name-writing has reminded me of self-registration in a YR class I was in during one of my teaching placements:

Children wrote names on the flipchart when they arrived, and at the beginning of the carpet session, stickers were given to a couple of the 'best' names - 'best' not necessarily being the same for each child. For example (and this was in June, so nearly at end of the year), one child received a sticker for writing his name (Max), while another child received a sticker for writing her name (first, middle and surname with all letters formed correcty).

purplemagic x

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all marvellous ideas!! Went to Sparkle box and went mad with mini beasts and in process of planning a fabulous backdrop for the velcro.

Hi,

Maybe a little late now if you have started but just wanted to recommend a self registration programme i use on the IWB which is really good-

Ready- register: http://www.kented.org.uk/ngfl/games/makeandDo.htm

I generally use the dinner plate and lunch box when all have gone full time and util then there is an option to change the background to a bear and fruit which they always like.

Hope that helps someone! :o

Edited by kerryg4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)