Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nappy Change Facilities/staff Area

Advice needed please!

We are in the lucky position of having a purpose built pre-school being put up in the grounds of the local school along with a rural children's centre with whom we will be working alongside in the same building, from different rooms but still be separate businesses.

I have been asked to feedback on the initial designs which I have done so, most of my points raised were agreed with and acted upon except my queries regarding the following:-

1. The toilets for staff use are located across the foyer in the main entrance and not within the setting, plus there is no staff area for use when staff take breaks. We will be full time 8am - 6pm.

2. No privacy within the setting for changing soiled clothes and nappies this would be done in the children's toilet area. I thought the big O liked there to be some privacy for changing nappies in Pre-School settings, but our EYAT says that it is not necessary. I was also told I could take the children across the foyer/main entrance and use the public changing/accessible toilets.

Anyone any advice or views - I'm sure someone has come across this......

All advice and opinions gratefully received.

Lou

Hi.......we are not in a 'purpose built' situation.....nappy changing is carried out in toilet/cloakroom ...the big O were quite happy with this....

If we are 'changing' a child - we don't take any others 'to the loo' at the same time...if that makes sense.....so they are afforded some privacy.

Hope that helps

Sunnyday

We moved into our new building in January (also part of a childrens Center on a school site) our nappy changing area is within the children's toilets (we ensured that the plans allowed for a changing table etc. I would push for a staff toilet within your setting, as the Ofsted Inspector that visited, said that staff would still be within the registered area. Our only drawback due to budget cuts, was the rearranging of available space, we now have a kitchen/office/staff room.(instead of seperate facilities which are preferable) Health and Safety not too happy, but we ensure that the office space/ paperwork etc, does not encroach on to the kitchen area.

My advise is to push for what you want!.

Debbs

Thank you that is all really helpful.

I am pushing but am really up against it - they are not going to give us staff toilets within the setting they will not budge. Had to fight for the office space to be in the setting as they wanted me to share with the CC.

at the end of the day no setting is perfect and you have to make the best of what you have.............and i know as i am in a pack away in a church hall but we still got an excellent report and joined the Leading Early Years Team in Kent

bet its' lovely having a new build?

our staff toilets were in a different building... so we had to ensure that ratios were maintained if anyone needed to use them...

and we were the pack away church hall setting PVI etc etc.. it is a case of making the best of what you have... and working the best way around it..

Inge

Yes, I know all about that as have only ever worked in pack away settings all with limited difficult to use storage, etc etc. But we have the chance to make a great purpose built setting so need to get it right first time, it will only happen once. So I want to make sure I cover all bases as much as possible first time - it's difficult to know what to fight for and what to concede.

Edited by Guest

We are still waiting for the final planning decision on our purpose built building, however we do know if it does go ahead we will have within the pre school, children's toilets with access for disability, a quiet room for small group work, a kitchen, messy play area and a covered hard standing outside area and grass.

We have been informed we can hotdesk with the children's centre to do paperwork etc, if we need to talk to parents in confidence we can use the conference facilities and we will share staff room and toilets with cc. I think the sharing of office space is exciting as it will enable us to get a feel for what the cc do and lead to better working relationships with other professionals and the toilets won't be a problem as its only a short walk down a corridor. We are so excited about this move that we are seeing everything as a positive, just seeing the children free flowing in and out will be enough for me, cant wait, fingers crossed.

Claire x

Glad you are feeling so positive about your move in with the childrens centre. I am a little bit more reserved about ours......

I am hoping that when it gets down to the nuts and bolts of operating alongside each other are being discussed I will feel a little bit more positive, we are a little in the dark about what is to be expected of each other as this is a pilot scheme for our area, so it will definitely be trial and error. It is a great opportunity for the area and the families in it, a one stop shop for services.

I cannot wait for the opportunity that it will afford the children and their learning, being able to have sand and water inside if they want it and being able to display their work when they want to without taking it down everyday will be fab! Plus not dragging equipment out from various cupboards around the hall and outside. We will also be able to offer wraparound care and holiday care for parents that need it at an affordable rate.

I think perhaps with end of year one on FD, end of term and staff issues I am just feeling a little overdone at the moment, with the prospect of 6 weeks with 3 children all wanting to do different things!! lol

I think if you are going to be open 8am till 6pm you will need a staff room or somewhere for the staff to "go away" from the children on their breaks so I'd push for that too if you can!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)