Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Would You Employ An Experienced Teacher Or An Nqt?

I know that's a random question :o but its been playng on my mind. I'm thinking about the future and my prospects. This is my 5th year of teaching Reception and I'm worried that although people say there are 'loads jobs out there' that I might be unemployable!! :( I'm thinking of a change but With all the talk of low budgets, surely if a head was looking for a classroom teacher they would go for someone with a lower salary (Ie an NQT). Is it true that experienced teachers usually only get the managerial jobs? I'm FS co-ordinator at the moment but might not always want to be. Am I the only one but I find just being a classroom teacher(albeit in a FS unit) hard enough without the extra responsibility and would rather have a life xD !!

I also worry :( that I've not had enough experience in other year groups and that I am limiting my experiences. When do settings usually start advitising for next September? I'd reallly love to hear from anybody with any advice, anecdotes or words of warning or wisdom!! Think I'm just 'at that stage'!! :)

ps-i'd love to hear about people's experiences of job changes. I love teaching this age group and would like to continue but am not enjoying certain aspects of the job at the moment. I keep hearing that saying in my head 'better the devil you know' and think-would I be better where I am? (coz their are manyGOOD things about my current situation) but then do you sometimes just get a 'gut feeling' about moving on do you think??? :( Thanks in advance for any replies-I'd really appreciate it :):):)

hi zim

i know what you mean. you sometimes feel that you get stcuk in one class and you kind of lose confidence if you can ever teach another age group. i felt that way after 2 years in nursery but i applied for a yr1 job and used my foundation satge as an advantage of moving the concept of CIP into yr 1. I think you have to go with your gut instinct and ask for a change within the school if yu want a different age group. Ask and see if they are ready for you o move age groups.

Cant answer that zim, but as for gut feelings, I'm acting on mine now, it's taken me 12 months but I know that scarey though it is I've got to move on, I'm been dragged down into a land of no enthusiasm and no motivation. I know I need to get out while I've still got a sence of humour to take with me. :D:D

Good luck what ever you decide.

Hi Zim,

I can remember worrying about the self same things many many years ago, especially as to whether I was employable against NQT's. It's a perennial worry I think after a few years of the job. Consider your CV and what you have developed in the past few years over and above FS issues, transferable things like management skills, raising attainment strategies, supporting EAL children, writing IEP's........all these are skills you can market to demonstrate your range and depth. Maybe you could teach a different year group in your current school as professional development and a new challenge?

Don't feel you are all washed up though, it's taken me 20 years to get to do what i really wanted to do!!!!

cx