Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs In Out Of School Clubs

gainah24

Hi! Can anyone help?

We're aware we need to follow the EYFS for the reception ages children at After School Club and Holiday Club, but we're not sure to what extent. Our advisor has suggested that we complete foundation stage profiles. We think this is ridiuculous! :o The children are already doing these at school, surely our contributions would be enough?

Has anyone got their head around this yet? Would be incredibly grateful for any suggestions for how to get it right without making the children begin another school day at 3.15! xD

Gaina x x x

I would start by discussing it with the schools they attend. I have basic planning information from school so that I could offer activites to extend something which they were really enjoying (doesn't happen often) and I meet the teacher once a term to look at areas for development. If the teacher would like me to help support something like an area of PSED, perhaps sharing or valuing each others opinions I don't mind taking opportunities as they present themselves.

I wouldn't complete a profile for an after school child. As you say that would be ridiculous and so much pointless work. I don't think it is our role to fill in the gaps.

How can a child of that age be expected to learn much of anything after a long school day? After school is for winding down and relaxing or letting off steam. I would argue that these alone support their progress in the EYFS as they could be overloaded and switched off by more structured activities after school.

Why does somebody always have to be analysing their learning? They'll do it anyway!

Our advisor has suggested that we complete foundation stage profiles.

NO, NO, NO, NO!!!! Arrghhh!! It makes me mad to see stupid advice being given out like this to out of school clubs (the clue is in the name- OUT of school!!!).

Sorry I'll get off my soap box now :o

We were Ofsteded in January (post-EYFS) and the only change that the inspector wanted to see was evidence of our observation, assessment and planning cycle.

She acknowledged that our provision was play based, with a good mix of adult and child led activities that responded to the children's needs/wants but just needed us to formalise that process a bit. Her suggestion was to have continuous provision planning on display as standard (a bit difficult in a multi use room, but we're getting there) and then some action plans that show that there is some rationale for what activities we provide.

I'm really passionate that we should not be replicating what goes on in schools/nurseries and preschools in the 'formal' sense of teaching and learning and that is the advice I've had both locally and nationally.

Have a look at this document from 4Children for some more clarification.

http://publications.teachernet.gov.uk/eOrd...hool%20prov.pdf

cheers

RR

We were Ofsted'd for the private bit of our provision (lunch club, afternoon nursery and after school club) in May 08 and then as part of the whole school inspection in Feb 09

Both reports said lovely things about the after school club provision.

My staff have "AN AWARENESS OF THE EYFS"

There are weekly plans which show that there are activities on offer to cover every area of learning.

Each night theres a different "main" activity that goes on which all children have access to IF THEY WANT!!

On the bottom of our plans there is something along the lines of :

in after school the children choose what they want to do and when, and no pressure is put on them to choose anything other than what suits them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't say that but you get the gist!!!

2 of my after school staff are nursery staff too so they know about the EYFS but they also know after school is just that.

AFTER THE SCHOOL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

A big NO to profile filling out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although as part of the EYFS you have to have communication between the settings..... we do this verbally because the after school club is on site.

Hope some of these posts have helped!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with other colleagues NO NO NO to endless paperwork and profiles.

I have recently led training for playworkers on the EYFS and used the 4Children booklet that has been recommended.

I developed a grid that uses the themes and commitments from the EYFS as a way of auditing what after school clubs offer - just as a reference point and not as a "Thou shalt"! Would you be interested in having a look at it?

We have recommended that observations are made that can inform the planning of the club, activities and resources. Also occasional observations could be shared with the school if relevant. I'll have a look through my course notes and see what else I said!

Heyjude

I developed a grid that uses the themes and commitments from the EYFS as a way of auditing what after school clubs offer - just as a reference point and not as a "Thou shalt"! Would you be interested in having a look at it?

said!

Heyjude

Thanks Heyjude - I'd love to have a look at your grid please. We have been brainstorming this week about how to 'prove' that our povision links to EYFS without it being too paper heavy and this sounds like it'll be worth a look.

Thanks in advance.

RR

we also went on training as regards this it was suggested we do learning journeys in the form of a scrap book by the children. this would then reflect the feel of what play based activities they do from the planning supplied . the planning was weekly with next steps and share with school.

I wish in an ideal world that I

a, had the time

b, the children had the inclination

c, that school actually cared that much

we do a pre-school so staff have the required training so that is not a problem but doing reams of extra work is.

so I have adapted my pre school cont.prov. to include development matters for nursery/rec age range not just 2-3yrs (thank you to whom ever did them first and posted on here I have changed them to fit our setting several times)

my weekly plans have a look listen and note section we record anything that interests the children for the week after

we take photos and add them along with pre-school photos in learning through play books for cll etc to reflect on what we do. we do learning journeys for pre-school only. If the children have a Eureka moment we pass a small observation on and sometimes a photo, we talk to school about our shared children we sometimes share the school theme if the children wish to .

we work from one playroom so we have to share so it is easy to work together and differentiate the play.

that is what we are doing and if it is not good enough it is tough because like adults who come home from work children need to chill and feel comfortable and don't always need another push to extend their learning.

how do others get the children to plan and evaluate all activities including meals outings what resources to buy etc?

I like them to contribute and they do but the practicality of organising this every day is hugely time consuming for staff and this is what our consultants want us to do alongside everything else. I so wish everyone had the same advice to follow no wonder we are all so confused.

sue

• 8 months later...
Guest jenpercy

We do do scrapbooks for the after-school children. for about a week they were really interested. actually any child in the setting can have one. All the EYFS children MUST have one. We just shove in bits and pieces that might have got left behind and the odd phot - although whoever said that taking photos aws easier than writing obs!!!. first, you have to have the camera on you, batteries charged, then fid a way to take photos of moving children without disturbing them and making them pose.!!!!

we failed OFSTED on EYFS last April and we are awaiting reinspection!!!

we had our ofsted in sept they inspected our pre-school mainly stayed only half an hour in our out of school club . we met both registers they liked our planning and that it included the nursery and rec didnt ask for seperate LJ for after school kids talked a lot about sharing info again interested in pre-school not our connection to school.

the school we are attatched to is due an ofsted and we have been told they will more than likely re inspect our out of school club so looking forward to that.

sue

Why does somebody always have to be analysing their learning? They'll do it anyway!

I have to disagree Upsy Daisy - everyone knows that learning only takes place when I am there to photograph it or write down what happens. :o

jenpercy - you say you failed your Ofsted. What sorts of things did they pick you up on? It might be helpful to other out of school providers to know...

Maz

Guest jenpercy

We had been advised in our EYFS training which was not LA but 4Children that observations under SPICE would be in order. I have to admit that then when challenged I could not remember the 6 learning outcomes. we were also told that we had to provide a full range of EYFS. Guidance since then has changed. Despite all this, we wwre also called a stimulating setting.

Other things we fell down on were not enough assessment, staff development plans, formal risk assessments for outings. Appraisala and staff training and development plans. We have been running happily for years without OFSTED deciding we needed all this and didn't have it. PAPERWORK PAPERWORK PAPERWORK.

You are supposed to do SEF with staff and review every 6 months. Operational plan should be reviewed every term, 40 pus policies should be written and review annually with staff input. The staff should be involved in planning, daily evaluations, setting goals for the setting.

I feel that we spend so much time doing all this junk, that if I find a need to do some staff training I don't have any time to do it.

did i mention that I'm also doing NVQ3 and QA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jenpercy

Hi jenpercy, it sounds to me like you're running furiously just to keep up? All of us feel like that some of the time, and Im sure many members reading are thinking.."that's how I feel"

First does your LA have an OOS coordinator/advisor who can come out and help you?

Second, you have mentioned a few things that came up on your last inspection report

Can you go through each of these and indicate which you have now done and where you may have relevant evidence for this?

After that, are there any actions you have not yet completed, or are half completed? If so, I would focus your attention on these, do you have any kind of development plan helping you to identify the priorities and helping to break down the task into manageable amounts?

We all work in different ways but if you can focus on the what needs to be done and what is the most important, then it may help to stop you from feeling that you're not getting anywhere fast. For example you mentioned 40 policies, are you absolutely sure you need that many?

We have quite a diverse membership here, Im sure there are other members here who are able to support you if you need it.

hi jenpercy you say you are doing a QA have you got a mentor ? our authority do a 3 part QA we have just completed step 2 it has taken a good 18months to do each one we have included our work in preschool and ASC it has helped enormously with upgrading our practice . I used it to review, upgrade and evaluate policies and procedures our mentor really helped with this and if it wasn't for this site I don't know if we would have succeeded thanks guys. this site has a wealth of info you can use and adapt or look at as a starting point

do an action plan with your team no harm in delegating a few tasks prioritise what you think is most important make sure you name who is responsible and date when this should be completed then it is easy to get it straight in your head. I felt less overwhelmed when we did this

ofsted liked our action plans and we did our eyfs audit (which I found from info on this site)this included what we needed to do in our ASC as well as pre school in which we identified what was still needed to do and we only had a half done sef we got a good for this along with our QA so it is worth doing it.

it would be good if everyone who gives you advice could sing from the same hymn sheet in reality they dint and you have to work with what you are dealt with however your advisers get paid a lot more than you to give you advice so make sure they give you lots of help it is their job

sue

• 1 month later...
Guest jenpercy

We passed our OFSTED!! Satisfactory is quite god enough for me. Will post more in separate thread later. One thing everyone needs to bear in mind tho is that OFSTED require different things from stand-alone club (like us), club attached to nursery, and again club attached to school. How I wish they had spent only half an hour with us. We had 2 days (of sbout 3 hours each!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)