Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Performance Management Targets

Hiya,

It's that time of year again to review PM and I wondered what other schools do for targets to show progress thtough the reception year. From y1 onwards teachers are expected to have children make 2 sub-levels progress in a year - how do you quantify progress in reception?

At the moment my PM says 4 points progress over the year, but as points 4-8 aren't hierarchical I wondered if this really works? Also not sure if 4 points is right - we were working on idea that the 'average' child comes in with 2/3 points and leaves with 6-8 points.

Wondered if maybe we'd be better targeting percentage of children to have reached certain totals - maybe especially with the focus on PSED and CLL - or achieving specific points?

What do you do / recommend?

It's a tricky one and one that you need to come to an agreement with with your Head I'd have thought. You are right in saying that they aren't hierarchical, but points gained in whatever direction are still points gained - if you get my meaning.

I'm not sure whether EYFS should be used in this way however; we're advised that it shouldn't be used as a tick list - but in the same breath we're given this type of data recording which must be followed.

Could you look at how many children achieve the end goals by the end of reception - could that be a marker? from their initial 'baseline' (yes I know!) on entry data.

Have you considered using the % of children getting 78 points + or then the % of children getting 6 or more in all the 7 PSED/CLLD scales AND 78+? This would get away from the "points progress" business but still keep it aligned to the outcomes duties and more manageable as data. Children can have strengths and weaknesses but the overall points score would be what you are aiming for anyway??

Cx

Have you considered using the % of children getting 78 points + or then the % of children getting 6 or more in all the 7 PSED/CLLD scales AND 78+? This would get away from the "points progress" business but still keep it aligned to the outcomes duties and more manageable as data. Children can have strengths and weaknesses but the overall points score would be what you are aiming for anyway??

Cx

Thanks Catma, that was what i was thinking, now just need to chat with HT....

Hi

I take on board what catma says and we do look at this data but progress is very important in our school as not many children achieve 78 points as they come in from such a low starting point. Progress needs to be reflected otherwise we are berated for our low scores.

I have done a simple colour coded box on entry and exit. red below age and stage, pink if just into age and stage but should be nearly completing it, blue for confident in age or stage nursery entry/ 6 points exit reception and green for above age and stage on entry/ more than 6 on exit from reception. Shows in an instant which children you have pulled up from well below to at a good level etc. Also shows children who are so slow to progress. (Usually ones with multi learning difficulties and are on IEP's anyway).

bit difficult to explain hope you understand. Supose it depends what sort of school you work in as to what is required.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)