Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Laptop Testing

Does anyone know - are you supposed to get your laptop PAT tested and if so how often?

We hire our building from primary school , when they have their's all tested they combine our's in with it .

ours to is done through the church

so that makes it free!!!!!!!!!!!!! well for us and it is done anually

Edited by Suer

Hi

We havnt got anything PAT tested! We are in a Wi hut. Who is supposd to do it?? We have laptop and cd player, plus kettle in kitchen, cooker, fridge!?

When I was on the hall committee, we had to get all the appliances and the wiring tested as a condition of the entertainment licence. This was done once every 3 years.

I have been having a discussion with your LA about PAT testing and as in post 8 it is not a legal requirement. I'm waiting for the fall out on this one from LA so I'll get back to you....

PAT testing is done to show you are safe and compliant. You can simply have a policy to cover your electrical equipment: "equipment will be visually inspected and renewed on a regular basis". With the life of most items these days its bearly out of warranty before its buggered!

I did a PAT Testing course about a year ago. There is no legal requirement to under take PAT Testing. There is no set time when items should or should not be PAT tested.

The reason people do PAT testing is because it's a way of showing that you are trying to ensure you have a safe environment, but H&S law does not specify that you must PAT test, only that your environment is safe, PAT Testing is a sensbile way of demonstrating this.

With regards to the frequency, some items should be checked far more regularly than others, items in a public place where many people might use them should be checked far more often than a small office with a couple of PC's etc. you need to do a risk assessment to determine the frequency. Also the first part of PAT testing is a visual check, and this can be done more regularly than an actual test, it just needs to be recorded.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)