Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chinese Dragon Boat Festival

Cait

Theoretically, this should fit into our 'Bear Hunt' loose theme as this week we'll be looking at the 'splash splosh' element of the book. (swishy swashy being last week - see blog)

So has anyone any bright ideas about what we can do with it?

Do you have some Chinese Families who could give you some ideas about this? The reason I ask this is that although we should be giving young children experiences of other cultures, my feeling is that this should be something within their understanding and experience, or that of their peers in the setting as a shared celebration. We always include celebrations for children from different cultural backgrounds within the settings where I have worked, or otherwise been involved, as we are responding to their interests.

Thanks JacquieL, but no - we live in a total monoculture here, so this is no-one's 'occasion', but we like to introduce children to the concept that there are others out there with different cultures and beliefs that they will come across one day - possibly when they go away to university. Of course they see 'different' people on television, but they also see blue fuzzy cuddly things that talk so may suspect that the people aren't 'real' either - if you get my meaning!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)