Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fathers Day Card Ideas

I know I've left it a bit late but Fathers Day has crept up on me! Anyone got a simple idea for a card that looks good? Also has anyone got a simple recipe for something edible that my pre-schoolers could make for their Dads? Along the lines of peppermint creams and strawberries dipped in chocolate.

ppp

I'm afraid we don't make them, we make cards that are for someone special and the children choose who to give them to, we just have our usual mark making bits and bobs and let the children create their own cards. They don't all usually want to do one.

I had someone who was doing 2nd stage of interview and was being observed with the children. SHe was with pre-school children, she gave them folded card, did not ask them to choose which colour they wanted, they were then given a pen, again not given a choice of the colour, they were then asked to write 5 thigns they like about their dads!!! Then when she was explaining what fathers day was she said "You know how daddy buys you sweets and take you to McDonalds, well we want to say thank you to Daddy for that"!!!!!! Plus sHe didn't even know if the children had fathers!!

Sorry I haven't answered your question really, we let the children choose what they want to use and choose if they want to make one and choose who they make it for - that's it I'm afraid.

I printed some 'super dad' cards off somewhere and just left them on a table and children have been enjoying sticking and colouring on them - there's not much evidence of the 'dad' anywhere now but I think it's great that they are having fun with them. I only did the card that way to silence the critics really - I'm MORE than happy that they are totally covered with feathers and glitter and the like!

Thanks for your reply.

In hind-sight it's not the right thing to post. I realise that it can be a sensitive subject but all of my children have Dads who live with them and as we celebrated Mothering Sunday I wanted to do something similar.

Thanks though,

ppp

Edited by Guest

Totally agree, I hope the days when children are expected to do 20 or so identical cards the same havwe moved on.

Set up a card making area around this time and let the children choose if and who they want to sent the card to..

Fifteen of the children in my class don't have contact with their fathers so it would be very insensitive for me to do this as an activity. :o

Thanks for your reply.

In hind-sight it's not the right thing to post.

Thanks though,

ppp

Don't say that! of course you post it! If we were in a room together we'd ask things like this - how else do we share ideas? There may be someone out there who reads posts who is dying to ask exactly the same question, and if someone doesn't ask, they don't know either!

Well said Cait!

Of course, it is a relevant question Playplayplay. Your setting is obviously very different to every one elses!

Father's day is always a difficult one whatever the age of the child. Many children dont see dad but very few are estranged from their mothers, although there is often an exception and that needs to dealt with sensitively.

I do think that Mother's Day has a different place as it evolves from a Christian festival.

I am old enough to remember when Father's Day was introduced and it seemed to be entirely for the greeting card manufacturers. My dad was absolutely adamant that we should not mark it and it tends to be on the back burner in my outlook as a result but I do usually offer the children an opportunity to make a card. Very few choose not to do so.

Well said Cait!

Of course, it is a relevant question Playplayplay. Your setting is obviously very different to every one elses!

Father's day is always a difficult one whatever the age of the child. Many children dont see dad but very few are estranged from their mothers, although there is often an exception and that needs to dealt with sensitively.

I do think that Mother's Day has a different place as it evolves from a Christian festival.

I am old enough to remember when Father's Day was introduced and it seemed to be entirely for the greeting card manufacturers. My dad was absolutely adamant that we should not mark it and it tends to be on the back burner in my outlook as a result but I do usually offer the children an opportunity to make a card. Very few choose not to do so.

and now there's Grandparent's day and who knows what else! Father's day is placed 9 months before Mothering Sunday hmm.

we tend to do some kind of "your special" I love you card

last year we did a rosette and put "your no 1" inside

the year befor it was a football shirt.

often the cards have a foot ball or car theme but we try to keep them neutral (no references to fathers day) so that those children who dont have a dad can give them to some other significant family member such as granddads or uncles

I think for those children who do have a dad somewhere in their lives its a shame not to celebrate fathers day and let those dads know they are special we have several children whose parents are living apart and I think its nice to help the child and dad keep the connection that ok they dont live at home anymore but that doesnt mean they stop caring about each other

also there are so many other friends or family member's who step into the role of surrogate dad that its nice for the child to say thank you to a special person whoever it is

Thanks for your reply.

In hind-sight it's not the right thing to post. I realise that it can be a sensitive subject but all of my children have Dads who live with them and as we celebrated Mothering Sunday I wanted to do something similar.

Thanks though,

ppp

We make cards and check whom they should be made for. Every one likes to be thanked I can't see what is wrong with it, every child has some one special and it is important that the children understand the need to to show their love and affection to those whom are close to them be it their father, brother, granddad etc.

I think we all try so hard not to offend or upset families, sometimes it gets a little crazy.

Thanks everyone, have pinched Cait's idea of a card with 'super dad' on it and I'll let them go mad with the PVA.

ppp

Were going to put finger paints out this week and hopfefully get a selection of tie spots and stripes to make lots of different tie cards - however if the childen want to stick or do anything else that will be fine too!!

Were going to put finger paints out this week and hopfefully get a selection of tie spots and stripes to make lots of different tie cards - however if the childen want to stick or do anything else that will be fine too!!

I was parading in the carnival today with the Brownies and noticed some nursery children wearing outsized ties as part of a clown costume. They were great - lots of spots stuck on in a random fashion: clearly done by the children but probably rescued by a grown up before the spots joined up and every spare inch of card was covered! :o

Maz

In our setting each key worker makes cards with their key children, thus no more mass production. For my key children which are mainly boys, at present they are mad on super hero's, I have printed off a large selection of super hero's both male and female and have let the children, colour, paint and chalk them. We have cut them out and stuck them onto card and have writtten 'You are my Super Hero'. They all look different and they all look fabulous and the children are very proud of what they have achieved. Hope this is of some use.

I shall be making our greetings on Thursday. We are currently in the middle of space (YOU SHOULD SEE OUR DALEK :o ) so I'm going to do 'your out of this world....' cards/pictures. Of course I won't spell it like that but it is sunday evening after a day of reports and profiles!!

We are going to do some marbling this week so the children will beable to cut their own planet from their marbled paper and then I'm going to offer black markers so they can draw a figure on it. The sentence on the back is open ended so it can be completed with dad, grandad, Bob or mum IF the child wants.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)