Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Not Sure What To Do Next

Hello

Can any body please help me to decide what to do next??????/ I have my level 3 and was going to do the NVQ level4 but have been told by the local collage that as the NVQ structure is changing again they will only offer the foundation degree . I am abit gutted as I as am not sure i an up to the degree level. I have tried the first year a few years ago and hated it. The universirty I went to did not give alot of help and i struggled to write in the academic style. I was working 12 hours shifts at the time so had to give up to ill health. I am aslo petrified of having to do presintations to the point that I stand up in front of the class and ususally throw up and pass out. I have looked at the local uni in lincoln at the units etc and there are presintations for most of the units. I am getting worked up now just writing this, stupid I know .

I have looked at the OU and not sure about that either. My supervisor has just finished her F.degree and really struggled and has been put of studying ever again. I am at such a cross roads can you fab people offer some advise please

As I am manger i have looked at doing mamagment degree instead.

I feel like the F.Degree is the only way to go as there is no other option I know of to look at.

Sorry for sounding like a grunmpy moaning mare.

Blue

thats a shame your super did not enjoy her FD - it was a shock when i started mine but loved it after a few months . My deputy has just completed her level 4 OU route - but found that hard doing it in isolation....others enjoyed it...

wouldnt doing a management degree be like the FD???

Sorry not much help - good luck in your decision :o

I have just completed my foundation degree and felt the same when I started. after a while I did enjoy it and you get a great deal of satisfaction finishing it. As far as I am aware all managers have to have a full degree by 2015 so maybe talking to your college student support may help.

whatever you do though good luck

Sorry for sounding like a grumpy moaning mare.

Blue

You don't sound grumpy or like you are moaning. You sound like someone who would like to move forward and feels frustrated. Are you feeling under pressure to make a decision soon? Is waiting to find out what happens to the level 4 NVQ an option?

You could talk to your local college about what puts you off and see what they say. They need to get people through this course and you might find that more help is available these days. I have needed a lot of support with the academic writing and I fortunately for me I have had it.

I am loving the foundation degree like Hali did but I would not want to feel pushed into such a commitment. All I can say is don't start anything that doesn't feel right.

Good luck and don't stress too much. You have done really well already!

Hello Bluebell 2008

I did the foundation degree a couple of years ago.I had done my level 4 back in 1990 then not done anything for years! I found it really hard in the first 2-3 months because my study skills were poor and even writing an essay filled me with fear.However, I plodded on and slowly my assignments got better and I started to enjoy it!!

One major problem was my fear of doing presentations just like you and when we had to do one in the first year I was sick twice and spent the day on the toilet!!! I honestly was a complete wreck but I just got through it and realised that 99% of the other girls felt much the same so everyone was supportive. In the second year we had to do another longer presentation which my tutor knew I was stressing about.She was great and gave me extra support in making sure I was really well prepared and I practised at home in front of my husband, one day my son and even our rabbit!!!!I was still very scared and nervous but I just kept thinking do this 15 minute presentation and you will have completed your FD. I did it and actually came top of the group which I still can not believe but honestly if I can do it so can you.Just like to add that since completing the FD i had two job interviews got both jobs and I am loving my children centre worker role now. Try and get over your fear and go for it .

Hi

I did my level 4 recently and used it to credit transfer my first level of the foundation degree. I have just fininshed my foundation degree with the OU and have to say I never had to give a talk. I run a setting and have a family and three children so it has been tough but very rewarding. I went with the OU because it`s flexable and I could fit it around work and children.

Sally

Hi

I am near the end of the first year of my degree and just letting you know so far there have only been 2 presentations (none expected this term) and both were in a group or as a pair..........

One was for practice (in a pair) the other was for part of a module but you weren't marked on the presentation itself, but what you wrote about it afterwards!

If you were honest and reflective!!!

No one enjoys it much but it is over quickly!!!!!!

Hope you find something to fill the gap!

Mindyou if NVQ is changing why not do what you originally wanted to do next year?

I completed a Foundation Degree with Hope Uni last year and am now half way through the top up to a BA. The FD was in Management of a Childcare Provision and the top up will give me a BA in Nursery Management. The course is done distance learning via Liverpool Hope Uni and involves going to the Uni once a year in Sep to enrol. Everyone then is split into groups and you are given work to do, all via the internet, either in groups or individually. Everyone supports everyone, the tutors are great, there is a chat room where you can arrange to meet to discuss the current/next assignment. I love it. If you want to get a Management Degree then I cant recommend this enough. Check out the Liverpool Hope Uni website for more info.

Good luck

Same here Janny :) I am enjoying the BA at Liverpool Hope too, it is really relevent to our work sitiuation. My local authority have funded my degree too, although they dont pay me the incentives from the GLF as my route is not the recognised LA pathway to EYPS, but I will do that later.

Julie

Hi Julie - do I know you!!??

My LA funded the FD but not the BA top up, luckily though my company paid for me to do it!

Hi there would just liket o say that i have a NVQ3 in C.C.L.D and I am starting my foundation degree in Sept. I am a manager of a pre-school setting and have 30 children in with 4 members of staff. I too thought I wouldn't be able to do it but after my interview have decided to do day releise one afternoon a week. Hope this helps you.

KAT

well i have just handed in my last assignment for the FD degree, i have just completed 2 yrs, i'm a manager of a pre-school with 70 on roll, family of my own.... i start the BA and EYPS together in sept....

it is a struggle to fit everything in but somehow it works, in the first few months i nearlly quit a few times because of the workload but i perservered and i'm glad i did, i also hated doing presentations..... i found rescue remedy fantastic.....and just kept thinking to myself in a few minutes it will all be over........you do get through them and everyone in your group will feel the same about them....

what ever yoy do you must do whats right for you... good luck...... by the way i have no idea how i'm going to manage the BA and EYPS together....

by the way i have no idea how i'm going to manage the BA and EYPS together....

hali and I thought that - but you'll manage it, just as we did! (although hopefully you'll be more like hali than me in terms of organisational skills! :o )

Maz

Hi Guys

Thanks you for all your words of wisdom. I have made an appointment to see the course leader to discuss credit transfer and my fear of presentations .

I think I am going to give it a go as I know it its the only way forward .

Thnaks again guys

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)