Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Setting Up Activities

hi there, just got another question for you all :o

do you set up activities on every table each day or do you leave some for free choice. thanx Ann

I was in playgroup today. They had 2 tables for table top painting and one in the home corner. Everything else was o teh floor mats. They tend to mix and match, one day the dolls house might be on the floor another on teh table. The tables are used to enhance the area or provide a different way of looking at things really.

Hi Ann

We set some tables up but we let children make choices too. Some days we don't put anything out and the children make all the choices. We have a mat that we ask one child each day to choose what they want on it.

Linda

Linda McDowell I really like that idea and would like to do some thing like that for my group - although some children are only two or less - do you think it could work with them? I was thinking of having a file or box or something with pictures of the toys to help them choose?

Hi Starburst

I don't see why it shouldn't work with the younger children-ours are 2 years 9 months onwards. In fact it gives the younger children the opportunity to choose as sometimes the older children dominate what goes on. We often have the same thing out because that is what they want but we have plenty of variety with what we put out so it doesn't get stale.

Linda

we used to set out each day, bit then got some trolleys/ shelves with baskets which had a selection of toys on in difference areas so children had free choice, for larger items we had pictures or would ask every morning and go with the majority, but we had a large area where we could have 2 of the larger toys out if we wanted..

we too used floor and tables for everthing..gives toy a different play experience in each area..

we also changed toys if and when children asked for them during the session, or added to them if we felt the need. All very go with the flow really...

we gave as much free choice all the time as we could, craft trolly , sand, water, dough, puzzles, games, paint, construction, in fact most things... it was the dolls houses , garages, farms they had to ask for or choose.. and yes we were pack away seting, but lucky enough to be able to leave home corner out.. it was the only place , oh and we were allowed a few book cases against the walls for the baskets to go on...so we had some with doors/ covers so we could leave the stuff there.

Inge

we used to set up something on each table and mat everyday, now we have got some fantastic self selection trolleys though we only set up on the focussed activity table then the children choose boxes fomr the trolleys as they want them, it's fantastic and at the moment they all really enjoy putting stuff away in the correct boxes at tidy up time :oxD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)