Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

D-day 65th Anniversary

sunnyday

Have caught some of the coverage of the 65th Anniversary of D-Day.

Is it just me.......makes me cry when they interview the veterans......wonderful men.......I have so much respect for them.

I'm not given to weeping - but I find this sort of thing, especially the personal recollections incredibly moving.

Gordon Brown's 'speech' started with the words "65 years ago, in the thin light of a grey dawn" isn't that brilliantly descriptive.....I was so sure that someone else must of said it in history and that he had 'borrowed it' that I 'googled it' and .........no I think it's all his!

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

Well HE doesn't write his own speeches, you know. They are carefully prepared by a team of writers who make sure that when he opens his mouth on state occasions, both feet don't fly in!

Yes I fill up too - it's not just you!

google

I still think it should have been the Queen as head of state there, not Golden Brown

Edited by Cait

My grandson (aged 10) is very interested in history - I recorded a BBC children's programme - (the series that is) it was called 'Evacuation' kind of a reality programme for children.....very well done though......a group of children were 'evacuated' - you get the idea.

Watched it with him ....in the last programme they played Vera Lynn's "We'll meet again" as background music while the children were being re-united with their parents....of course..that 'set me off'.....didn't want my grandson to see that I was upset so tried very hard to control myself, and then.......realised he was crying.

Bless him! Such empathy ....... I 'm very proud of him.

Five years ago, when it was the 60th anniversary, we happened to be travelling back from France through Caen leaving early evening. We got to the ferry terminal very early and spent time walking along the beach at Ouisteram, talking to the veterans who were there. The ferry was also full of veterans and their families and they were nearly all wanting to tell their stories to as many as would listen (oh, how I wish I had taken a tape recorder with me). It was such a privelege to be able to hear their stories first hand, and especially as my then 14 year old son was with us and heard it all. We had visited Arromanches etc. just 10 days earlier on our way south, so he was really able to relate to it all.

As the ferry left the port, the Battle of Britain Flight flew over and a piper on the shore happened to be playing the national anthem. All down the coast we could see people (including families with several generations represented) walking on the beaches, throwing poppies and wreaths into the water and clearly just talking and reflecting.

It was an amazing experience that I shall never forget, and am sure my son won't either. He came and sat with me this afternoon and talked about what he remembers - lots!

It has been, as you say, a real tear jerking afternoon. That generation went through so much, and we owe them so much.

Gruffalo2

P.S. It was very very wrong that the Queen was not invited.

I watched the Derby at Epsom this afternoon and the Quenn was there as she had horses racing. Maybe she was invited but had a prior engagement and that might be why Prince Charles attended instead. This may be why there isn't a big fuss being made about the Queen not being there. Only realised today that Henry Allingham's birthday is D day, what a wonderful man.

BMG

Oh Gruffalo2 - what an incredible experience.

I have just been talikng to my son and daughter-in-law about the day's events ......they agree completely about the veterans, but when I told them about the opening line of Gordon Brown's speech.........no........they couldn't understand why I thought that was so special - oh well never mind!!!

Mr Allingham - what a wonderful man - I just have huge respect for them all.

My mum was a nurse during the war years.......at one time she was working in a hospital in Dartford, Kent...the hospital was bombed - apparently the were aiming for a nearby munitions factory but hit the hospital instead.......my mum's best friend ...a young Irish girl called Molly was killed. Molly's family gave my mum her ring and some years ago mum gave it to me.......I don't have any daughters.....so at some time in the future I will pass it on to my eldest grandaughter....and obviously tell her the story that goes with it.

I too firmly believe that the Queen should have attended - if it were not for those brave men........

I watched it too; through blurred eyes! Didnt catch Gordon's speech but General Sir whoisit Dannatt's was wonderful, very respectful and very moving. Bet they are having a whale of a time over there tonight; having ones or two little drinks in their comrades memory - and why not!!!