Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Employing An Admin Assistant?

Hi all,

My leader (I'm chair) has suggested that we might employ a kind of admin assistant to deal with some of the more routine paperwork (not profiles etc. but things like updating prospectus, invoicing, typing up letters, etc.)

I'm all for this but just wanted to know whether anyone can foresee any problems with doing this.

Thanks,

Sue.

Sounds wonderful - I'd like one of those!

Can't see a problem with it myself but is that something which the committee secretary can do (not that ours does!)?

ppp

An admin assistant sounds brilliant (as does your last suggestion of a cleaner). I think it all comes down to money and as I don't get paid for doing paperwork in my setting I don't see how my committee could afford to pay an Admin Assistant. If you can afford it then I think it would be really beneficial. mrsW.

Hi - yes - I would say 'go for it' if funds allow!

There has been a recent thread all about this - see if you can find it.

You sound like such a committed 'chair' - your pre-school are very lucky to have you!

Sunnyday

Thanks Shiny, could I ask how many hours you get her to do and how? Is she at the setting when parents arrive to field questions and grab bits of paper, or does she do it from home?

What I don't want to happen is for our leader to end up having to tell her everything and it being a situation where she would be quicker doing it herself.

Thanks for the compliments sunnyday, I am really enjoying the whole experience and am the kind of person who goes full out on any job I do.

would depend on funds, and would need to stipulate who she is responsible to.. committee or manager/ leader... ie who would be the ones to give her the work to do... who she would be answerable to...

as said though a lot of jobs mentioned are actually committee jobs... and our committee while not always aware of having to do them if I asked as manager or directed them they did the jobs , some like updating prospectus was easier for me to do than explain to someone who had no understanding of what I wanted....

others like arranging trips, letters etc Sec did, and treasurer did the invoicing / bills etc we just gave her an updated list of sessions booked as we did that ourselves...we needed the control of admissions as we often had people walk in for a place, which I know does not happen everywhere.. it was just our location...

Inge

Thanks Shiny, could I ask how many hours you get her to do and how? Is she at the setting when parents arrive to field questions and grab bits of paper, or does she do it from home?

What I don't want to happen is for our leader to end up having to tell her everything and it being a situation where she would be quicker doing it herself.

Thanks for the compliments sunnyday, I am really enjoying the whole experience and am the kind of person who goes full out on any job I do.

She does 5 hours per week term time. It is a bit of a swings and roundabouts job though. Some weeks she does less than 5 hours work and other weeks she does more, especially invoice time and funding time. She doesn't come in every morning, but is contactable every day and she also mans our email address too. As I said she is the best money ever spent at the preschool, and would never go without one again!!

Gosh I would love an admin person ( and not to save the committee any work) if you have the funds go for it. We have employed a bookkeeper for the last 8 months and that has been a godsend, I'm sure it will be so much easier as well at our AGM, trying to elect a new treasurer.

We employed an Admin assistant 2 years ago and it's ended up a full time job (with part time pay!) as others have said would not do without her.

A bookeeper would be the next on the wish list as the Treasurers role is becoming more and more indepth, far too much for a volunteer mum to have to do.