Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Inspection

Hi everyone,

Next week we have an inspection from Monday to Thursday for all of school, and we in Early Years in the Nursery have it on Monday and Tuesday, just the Early Years one.

Today I was told that I should do an activity on sorting shells into groups etc.... what else can I do with this? What kind of language should I be using for? WHat kind of resources do you think I need? I guess I should have a kind of tick list organised, but what kind of knowledge woudl I be looking for??

Thanks so much.

Sarah

If I was given that activity to do I would start by giving each child a shell and we would talk about the shape, colour, pattern etc... I would try and get the children to describe their shell. We would then talk about things that are the same and things that are different. I would then use one of the similarities/differences to get the chiildren to sort them. They could then decide how they want to sort them themselves - this could be as a group, pairs or individuals - depends on the children. The language would be linked to the shape, size, pattern, texture etc... I hope that helps - good luck. :o

Be aware also that the children may have their own thoughts re the shells!

Also theres every chance that you will do the activity without an inspector anywhere around!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure your paperwork (ie planning of said focused activity) reflects what you were after, what areas of learning would be covered. What language you are modelling.........

At least then if they don't witness the activity from beginning to end the inspectors will know what the point of it was!

We had our nursery inspected in February, as part of the school inspection.

To be honest we saw very little of the inspectors.

It wasn't at all like previous inspections when they had spent alot of time watching/ observing us and the children

They gained alot of info from paperwork and a chat to staff.

Good luck!! :o

They could also try to match the shells to those in a non fiction text.

Plus of course put them to their ears and listen and then devise a story from this!

I have a wonderful book here at home called 'Sharing a Shell' it has a lovely PSHE moral about friendship and I would highly recommend you try to get hold of it.

Can I ask why and who told you? I'm assuming because of the post being in the reception and year 1 section you are a class in a school. How does this link to your AfL?? Otherwise it just sounds very random.

Cx

Guest tinkerbell

I agree with Catma.Why are you not following your own planning,who is telling you what to do?

Tinkerbellx

Now that I can't recall!!!

I wouldn't think too expensive or else our Head would never have let us have one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, actually we found it in a box in the store cupboard unused after going to some science course when they said all schools in our area had been given one!!

They plug into a USB port and have a bit of software with them but suppose thats not helping re the cost!!

Will see if I can find one online

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)