Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can Eyps Teach Reception Children?

Hi, hope someone can help me. i am looking to change the preschool i currently run (within a school) into afoundation unit. so reception and pre school will be together.

i am unsure whether as an EYP i can 'run' the group or do i need a teacher in the class. Hope someone can help me please :o

Hello miniberry and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid i can't really advise you on this one, I believe in its infancy, EYPS was going to provide QTS but I don't believe it does. You may find that a school would be willing to take you on - I don't know. I don't think unqualified teachers exist any more!

It would certainly be cheaper for a school to employ you - so maybe that would work in your favour!

I think we need just a bit more information at how you envisage this working, and if the Reception class is part of a school how do the school view this? Who teaches the Reception class now? Are you in a Private school, which may make a difference to how you can organise things? In a maintained school there would have to be someone with QTS in Reception.

No as Jacquie says in a maintained school (FSU) a EYPS cannot teach reception children you must hold QTS ...sorry

The EYFS does not place ratio and qualification requirements on reception classes in maintained

schools provided they fall within the legal definition of an infant class (i.e. a class containing

pupils the majority of whom will reach the age of five, six, or seven during the course of the

school year)2. Such classes are already subject to infant class size legislation: an infant class

must not contain more than 30 pupils while an ordinary teaching session is conducted by a

single school teacher

Definition of a ‘school teacher’ for infant class-size purposes

1. Schools will meet the infant class size requirements if an infant group of no more than 30 is taught by a ‘school teacher’. School teachers include:

Head teachers

Qualified teachers

Overseas trained teachers

Instructors with special qualifications or experience

Staff on an employment-based teacher training scheme

Graduate teachers

Registered teachers

Student teachers

Teacher trainees yet to pass the skills tests

You could teach reception in a PVI setting

Edited by Marion

I think we need just a bit more information at how you envisage this working, and if the Reception class is part of a school how do the school view this? Who teaches the Reception class now? Are you in a Private school, which may make a difference to how you can organise things? In a maintained school there would have to be someone with QTS in Reception.

:o Hi thanks to you all for your help,

the FSu will be in the school, i very large classroom will be pertitioned off so in one half is yr1 and2 and the other half FSU. the teacher will oversee al the plannning, however i will be teaching phonics, letters and sounds etc... the head teacher is all for it.

i've been trying to find out all over the place through emails etc. but no one can give me a straight answer. xD

thanks again

That is the crucial difference. If it is a state school the answer is a definite no. For Reception children even though following EYFS there is a lot more to do than just letters and sounds and phonics for CLL, never mind PSRN. I'm not sure that EYPs covers all of what will be required such as reading development etc.

This may help you

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachingandle...cationsandfaqs/

Especially helpful

"Since 2003, the School Teacher's Pay and Conditions Document has required head teachers to ensure that, save in exceptional circumstances, a teacher is assigned to each class or group of pupils in the foundation stage."

:o thank you that link was very useful. we are a state school so it looks as though the answer is no xD

If you have EYPS then you have a degree. You may be able to gain QTS on the job, but I'm not sure. This site might help you find out if there are any options available to you.

http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/thetrainingp...ingacourse.aspx

:o fantastic, thank you that has been so helpful, i think i could gain QTS through the Graduate teaching scheme. Will look into it further. Thanks again..............