Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Older Than 60 Months Old?

If the Development Matter statements from 40-60+ correspond to the previous green stepping stones, I understand that the ELG are mainly the same as the previous ones which were coloured grey. Right? If so, then the ELG correspond to children older than 60 months old/5 year olds in Reception or will become 5 in Reception in a school that only has one intake in September? Oh, I hope I am not confusing you or it is that I am so tired that I cannot think anymore :o

Edited by SmileyPR

The BOLD print statements are the goals that children are expected to attain by the end of Reception. Some will be 60+ and others won't be

As I understand it the 40-60+ months section covers the old green stepping stones and the ELGs. The ELGs are those that are in bold type. It makes sense that they are both in this section really when you consider that the time boundary is 20+ months so nearly 2 years.

Yes, that is why I have always understood, that they are to be reached at the end of Reception. Our school requires that our children become 5 by the 31st of December... so some of the youngest ones would be working the 40-60+ during the 1st term because they are still in their 4's, but with the ELG in the 2nd and 3rd term because then they have already become 5. Yet, I do have children who are already 5 in September and stay all the school year with me. They are 6 when they start in Grade 1.

Edited by SmileyPR

1st week of September to last full week of June... we follow the Belgian calendar and it makes it easier at the hour of the national school and festive holidays.

Edited by SmileyPR

Smiley, as you may or may not be aware--the school year here runs from 1 Sept to 31 August so the reception year is for children who have their 5th birthday within that and they could be in a school or preschool setting depending on the LEA admission and school admission proceedures which vary from LEA. They become of statutory school age in the term after their 5th birthday.

A child could be 4 on 31 August and another 5 on 1 Sept ( as happened in my class one year) and they would be in the same year group but a child has their 6th birthday in year 1 which is NC orientated.

So you would be operating within a mixed FS/KS1 year group.

Hope that helps although I fear I may be too tired to have explained that properly!

Thanks, Susan :o I think I sort of get it now.

The thing here in our international school is that years ago we followed the age system in the UK, but later on, seeing that most children came from countries where children would only go to Grade 1 if they became 6 years of age during the 1st term, then the school changed the age entrance requirement for those not coming from the UK. If we did get a child from the UK, then s/he would be put in their corresponding group as in the UK. Do I explain myself? Oh, I better go to bed... too much work and little rest.

Again, thanks to all of you for your great patience in helping out someone out of the UK.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)