Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

June 2009 Competition

Beau

:o I had completely forgotten that the end of the June quiz also means a new one for july xD:(:(:( :wacko: xD

Of course I should be writing a literature review (yuck) but what I should be doing and what I actually do are two very different things!

Thanks to those people who entered our competition this month. I shall give out the answers in three posts to make it easier to read and then announce the winners. I have had to be quite hard on the marking of the questions as they were all so close! So you may have just been given half a point if your answers didn't fully match with mine. :o There were also a couple of questions which were slightly open to interpretation - again you may have got half a point for getting a sensible answer even if it was different to mine. xD

1st Marilyn Monroe’s Birthday - What was the name Marilyn Monroe was baptised? Norma Jeane Baker

2nd Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II - In which year did the Queen celebrate her Golden Jubilee? 2002

3rd Astronaut Edward White becomes first American to ‘walk’ in space - Which Apollo mission was the first manned mission to land on the moon? Apollo 11

4th British suffragette Emily Davison throws herself under a horse - At which racecourse? Epsom

5th World Environment Day - What is the theme this year? 'Your Planet Needs You-UNite to Combat Climate Change'

6th D Day - Where did the landings take place? Normandy, France

7th Full moon - How long approximately is a lunar month? 29.53059 days (29 days, 12 hours, 44 minutes and 3 seconds)

8th World Ocean Day - Which is the third biggest ocean in the world? Indian Ocean

9th Johnny Depp’s Birthday - Johnny Depp made his film debut in which film? A Nightmare on Elm Street

10th Ball point pen patented - László József Bíró was the inventor of the modern ball point pen. In 1950 the patent was bought by someone else. What was the name of the pen produced? Bic

11th Premiere of E.T. - Which famous actor played the school principal in a short scene which was cut from the final movie? Harrison Ford

12th Anne Franks Birthday - How old would Anne Frank have been this year if she were still alive? 80

13th World Nettle Eating Contest in Dorset - What is the name of the pub where this takes place? The Bottle Inn

14th Flag Day in the United States - How many stripes are there on a US flag? 13

15th Signing of the Magna Carta - Magna Carta is Latin for what? Great Charter

16th Royal Ascot - What is the name of the horse Frankie Dettori is riding in the Queen Anne Stakes? Alexandros

17th Rudolf Nureyev asks for asylum in France - What was the name of his longstanding dance partner? Margot Fonteyn

18th Battle of Waterloo - What year did the Battle of Waterloo take place? 1815

19th The Statue of Liberty arrives in New York - Bartholdi made a bronze model of the statue first. Whereabouts in Paris can it be found? Jardin du Luxembourg

20th Nicole Kidman’s Birthday - Where was she born? Honolulu, Hawaii

21st Fathers Day - Kelly Osborne’s famous father was the lead vocalist for which band? Black Sabbath

22nd Wimbledon - Who was the last British man to win in the men’s singles at Wimbledon? Fred Perry

23rd Luxembourg National Day - What are the three countries that border with Luxembourg? France, Belgium and Germany

24th Gates open for Glastonbury Festival - What year did the first Glastonbury Festival take place? 1970

25th George Orwell’s Birthday - What is the name of the main leader and villain in Animal Farm and what animal is he? Napoleon, pig

26th Bristle toothbrush invented in China - How many teeth should an adult have? 32

27th Armed Forces Day - Where is the National Event 2009 being held? The Historic Dockyard Chatham

28th French Grand Prix - Who is the current Formula One champion? Lewis Hamilton

29th Original Globe Theatre Burns Down - ‘As You Like It’ is currently open at the new Globe Theatre. What is the phrase famously quoted from a monologue in the play? All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players

30th First appearance of Superman in a comic - What is the name of the newspaper that Clark Kent works at? The Daily Planet

In joint 9th place with a very respectable 26 1/2 were sienna and extraordinary chicken.

In joint 7th place with 27 points were belle06 and chocisgood.

In joint 5th place with 28 points were dublinbay and samfrostie.

Well done to all of you, unfortunately you don't win anything this time but I hope you'll keep trying! :(

Sharing 2nd place with 28 1/2 points were Geraldine, hali and Lorna. Congratulations to all of you. I'll need to see if we have any extra prizes hanging around FSF HQ so that you each get a book for a prize. :o If you have any particular preferences let me know. xD

So our winner for this month, with 29 points, is Inge. Congratulations Inge, we'll get your £20 cheque in the post very soon. :(

i thank you very much for that...just returned from a week away in Cornwall. Really lovely, weather was un beatable, .. the hottest UK holiday ever I think... and we went UK because it was cooler!!

Thanks again

Inge

• 2 weeks later...

JUst popping in to add my thanks :o

My lovely book arrived today xD:(:(:(

I have put it in a safe place to 'save' for later.

I am flying out of Stanstead at silly o'clock on saturday morning and haven't even thought about packing - oops! mind you I will be back again on Monday so not much to pack but still need to get a little bit organised!!!