Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Operations Manager

Just a quick query. What do you think the qualifications/experience of an operations/area manager should be. By operations/area manager I mean a person who oversees a group of nurseries for a chain of nurseries, usually the manager's line manager (hope I've made sense)!

I would want to see:

* Foundation degree as a minimum and I'd like to see EYPS or a willingness to achieve it.

* Management experience of at least 2 years

* Some other experience possibly in training others

I'd be really interested to see what others come up with :o

I think I would add to Cait's suggestion that they could have QTS but with experience of being responsible for meeting care/welfare standards day nursery situation and management of staff.

Oh! And experience of working with 0-3

Gruffalo2 :o

There could be people with QTS and lots and lots experience (like me till a few months ago!) who have not yet been able to do EYPS, but want to.

Perhaps it should be willing to work towards EYPS??

Well personally I'd need the experience to be current too - ideally someone who had implemented EYFS and knew exactly what it felt like 'on the ground' so someone who was coming fresh from managing a setting or FS unit.

Hey - that's just me - I've had a lot of 'advisers' who have no 'on the ground, current experience' and I take it very hard when they are telling me how to do things they've not had to do themselves :o

I would agree wholeheartedly with that. It is one reasor why I moved from being an advisor to work in a setting again. I did not want to let myself forget what it is like on the ground or for my training to become dry because I had little up to date hands-on anecdotes to illustrate it.

I think I am in danger of hijacking this thread, but I am missing Springwatch - and that is even more addictive than this forum!

Back later

I'd insist on EYPS as a VERY MINIMUM with at least 5 years experience managing an early years setting and staff - current, not pre EYFS

No-one has five years of managing staff post-EYFS Cait. Or do you mean post EYPS? :o

Maz

No-one has five years of managing staff post-EYFS Cait. Or do you mean post EYPS? :o

Maz

No I realise that, I mean EYPS as a VERY MINIMUM and at least 5 years experience managing an early years setting and staff - and current, not pre EYFS. Meaning that at least one of their five years was EYFS.

Thanks for your answers and suggestions everybody. My Operations Manager has none of the above suggestions; literally got the job for being in the right place at the right time!! Very frustrating especially as I'm being used as the sounding board for suggestions and advice and "what should I do about this ................" and "can you do this for me" kind of thing!!!!

Thanks for your answers and suggestions everybody. My Operations Manager has none of the above suggestions; literally got the job for being in the right place at the right time!! Very frustrating especially as I'm being used as the sounding board for suggestions and advice and "what should I do about this ................" and "can you do this for me" kind of thing!!!!

How frustrating for you! INTENSELY annoying when that happens

Hmmm,

I know an excellent Operations Manager, that works with nursery managers to ensure all the boring office-type stuff gets done, and the inductions, 'cos how are we going to fit them in, in a busy day nursery when someone ELSE has phoned in sick.....

She has no early years qualifications, but is vetted, children love her and best of all she happily extends her day (either way) if we struggle for staff. She is a highly qualified professional in her field, but chooses to work with us - here's a big cheer for SDV!!!

You know who you are - I salute you

Sue xx