Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Twas The Night Before Christms

I liked your christmas play Peggy. I am going to use it next year. Thats forward planning!!!!!

I am up to my eyes in it now, costumes,rehearsals, collecting photo,video and tea towel money and all the other usual Christmassy things together with the thought that I don't know if Ofsted are coming or not.

We have a second verse for twinkle twinkle as follows

Then the traveller in the dark

Thanks you for your tiny spark

Would he know which way to go

If you did not twinklw so.

Quite appropriate either for a nativity or for guiding father Christmas.

We don't do plays at all just sing songs. This year we are going to make it a family concert with carols for the adults. We have so many very young children and it is really hard work teaching them the songs never mind getting them to do anything else!!

Linda

we too only sing songs, the children this year have made some wonderful hats to wear, making them themselves they enjoy showing them to everyone, this year we found a short christmas story book and sing songs related to the story. The children have not heard the story and will only hear it for the first time the day of the concert.

Inge

Thanks for the play Peggy. I was asking somewhere else on the site for an idea for the end bit of our FS Nativity and this will do nicely! Thanks again so much. How did you make your fireplace?

Children did sponge print brickwork surround.

Then we hung yellow and red crepe paper for the fire, this was stood against a divider screen we have that has openings which is where santa came through.

Hope that makes sense.

Another idea maybe (although not tried it) Do you have a play tunnel?

Stood upright this would be like a chimney and santa could "hide" inside :o

Peggy

• 9 months later...
This show is more suited for 3+ year olds but lots of fun.

Peggy

20141[/snapback]

Was searching for a Christmas play topic before starting a new one (good girl, me :o ) nad found this but there is no play.... Peggy, any chance of re-attaching for li'l ol' me? Please? Please?

Thanks petal!

In return, I am attaching one I wrote in 1998 (OMG where does the time go!!) I used to run a Sunday school and had children from 2 - 12 so it was really hard to get a play to suit them all! This was based on a book by Nicholas Allen - I can't remember what it's called but have a feeling it was Jesus' Birthday PArty or something. Anyway, it is from the Innkeeper's viewpoint. A couple of years later I discovered a man called Stephen Fischbacher had done the same but with music!! It's the biz!

www.fischy.com the Angry Hotelman

Innkeeper_play.doc

Just wanted to clarify - I was saying that Stephen's version was the biz not mine!! (And have met him so can call him Stephen :o he was hte best friend of a couple I nannied for)

other activity plans and a Mr Frosty poem. Hope you enjoy. :D

The Mr Frosty Poem took a while to attach ( got pics on it so be patient :o )

When you open an activity plan, at the bottom of the excel worksheet you will see another tab called "evaluation list" this is a form where you can record individual childrens learning/skills during the activity.

Peggy

Activity_Plan_Advent_calender.xls

Activity_Plan_Advent_Post_box.xls

Activity_Plan_Candle_decs.xls

Activity_Plan_Newspaper_stars.xls

Activity_Plan_Reindeer_cards.xls

Activity_Plan_SANTA_LETTERS.xls

santa_letters.doc

mr_frosty_face_poem.doc

You're just showing off now Peggy :o

Was it cos I knew about thixotropy AND how to spell it? Was it huh? Was it?!

Thanks for hte links anyway. I'm torn now as I really wanted it to have some of the true meaning, maybe I'll do both xD

not showing off honest they are 3 yrs old, I just found them on a CD of past preschool stuff. Pandamonium, I've missed your other response and correct spelling of thixotropy, now what post was that on :o

I must admit before I posted the activity plans I did feel a bit reluctant because I am dead set against adult led "creative" activities, or production line "art work". We do let the children choose if they want to make anything and encourage them to do their own thing as well.

Peggy

aw Peggy, I'm only kidding you know that don't you... don't you?? :o

I took on the supervisor role last year and was quite surprised as all year it is very child led and although art activities are planned there is rarely an ideal finished product if you know what I mean. Then come Christmas it was mad! There is a set of items that each child HAS to make (who says?) and it took 2 or 3 staff meetings for decisions to be made on what card, what decoration etc etc. It drove me mad but it was my first year and the old supervisor was in place as manager (and one of my best friends)

Soooo this year I have decided to ask if anyone has any ideas then if not to give a choice. Either I will decide and that will be that or they can each have an 'item' to plan. Last year we were all much more enthusiastic about the item we had suggested as we had a vision I guess!!

I still don't like hte idea of all the kids having to produce one of everything but tbh we didn't get any resistance! I suppose because we don't spend all year expecting them to do it whether or not they want to.

Oh my, waffling again, so sorry!

I can't believe we are all so keen to talk and organise christmas. Mind you shops in town are well on the way!

But thank you everyone some lovely ideas.

My favourite was where we did different sketches about christmas shows on telly. It started with a family arguing about what to watch on telly. It gave us a free rein to do what we wanted, including The Queen and ended with them talking about what christmas is really all about and the nativity.

It was better than it sounds.

Josiebrad, I like your idea, and can visualise it, it certainly is a way to address the "relevance" of Christmas in a way that is within the childs context.

Pandamonium, I know your only joking, and like your approach to "creative" opportunities. My parents do complain if little Johnny doesn't make a card/reindeer etc, so I just suggest to them that they do it at home with little Johnny and give them the resources. ( after saying he was too busy doing.....) :D

Peggy

• 5 years later...

I knew I loved this forum :D

I used to be Pandamonium (long story) and after leaving preschool at the beginning of 2007 have gone back! Since I left they haven't been as ambitious with their Christmas production but as it went so well before I really wanted to reintroduce it. Unfortunately I had no idea where all the scripts etc I'd written were and was all set to rewrite when BAM I remembered I posted it here to share!!

LMAO who's have thought it? 5 years on I could still find it easily :D happy happy happy!!!

Edited by Hello Kitty

• 1 year later...

Hi Peggy

I loved your play and am really eager to do it this xmas with a very young class of reception children if you do not mind! Would you like me to put your name on the programme in the church?,,,although I have needed to adapt it to suit the class numbers etc.!!!!

Also, please can you tell me what the tune is to the jollo jolly jolly jolly snowman as I cannot find it anywhere!

Many many thanks!!

Becky :)

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)