Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Whole Class Activities With Nursery

Hi,

I have an interview coming up soon in a school.I have 20 minutes to work with the whole class (26) which i don't usually do.At my current job have no more than 13 at a time for a maximum of 10 minutes.Has anyone tried any good activites that would last for 20 mins that would entertain 26 nursery children.I would be gratefull for any suggestions.Thanks

How about enacting 'Bear Hunt'. The story itself wouldn't take that long, but you could involve them in which area was which first, and what you were going to do in each place. Then do the story. That would certainly entertain them!

Will do ! Thanks again !

Hi there, I had exactly the same for an interview in nursery, initally going to be for 30 minutes but they did shorten it to about 15-20. First I played a short circle game to get to know their names, then I did Bear Hunt but interactively like Michael Rosen does (look on Utube to see how)I got the children up and moved around the room with them, then sung a short song with them. , The children were great and I got the job!

Good luck and let us know what happened. x

Hi,

I have an interview coming up soon in a school.I have 20 minutes to work with the whole class (26) which i don't usually do.At my current job have no more than 13 at a time for a maximum of 10 minutes.Has anyone tried any good activites that would last for 20 mins that would entertain 26 nursery children.I would be gratefull for any suggestions.Thanks

Music & movement is always a sure-fire winner in our Playgroup. If you can lay your hands on one of the "Sticky Kids" CDs then use that as a circle time activity. 99 times out of 100 they will love it and you can easily fill 15-20 minutes with that.

DDC

Hi there, I had exactly the same for an interview in nursery, initally going to be for 30 minutes but they did shorten it to about 15-20. First I played a short circle game to get to know their names, then I did Bear Hunt but interactively like Michael Rosen does (look on Utube to see how)I got the children up and moved around the room with them, then sung a short song with them. , The children were great and I got the job!

Good luck and let us know what happened. x

I haven't seen the Michael Rosen thingy but I always had problems holding the book and doing the actions with the children, so we recorded the DVD which comes with the newer editions of the book onto an audio tape, so that helps tremendously!! We play the tape and do the actions.

Does it make you think that all over the country Interviewees are all doing 'Bear Hunt' to classes of children in order to get the job. Could it be that there are some classes who may be 'interviewing' several teachers all doing the same thing with them!?

Has it come to the point where you'll get marks for originality? May be we should be thinking about some different books, like Little Red Hen and the wheat, or Room on the Broom or something..........

Just a thought :o

I can just imagine the groans as yet another rendition of the Bear Hunt starts off! Bit like an audition at the theatre "NEXT, don't call us .....etc. etc.

The beauty of BH is however, that everyone does the actions at the same time, and there is little in the way of setting the scene to be done - reading the story through beforehand and hiding the bear somewhere dark and laying down a few ground rules.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)