Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help -maths Subject Leader!

just had a copy of maths subject leader in school.

We are a Partnership FU. working together, children accesssing independant activities, 2 focusactivities on CLL and PSRN a day. Which is fine at moment. Or so i thought.

she wants Learning Intentions, not 'just providing oppertuntities to>>>' this would not work in free flow where we are trying to work towards individual next steps. and success criteria in plans.

A mental maths session and a 'daily time set a side for a short carpet sessionwith a maths focus.' 2 1/2 years to 5 on a carpet at once doing maths! we cover all aspects with our own Key children. Puting them altogether, would be a backwards step!

What do i do? or is she right?

she said

No I would say you are right as you understand what children need. She is obviously out of touch with FS. I'm maths manager and reception teacher. We do have one 10-15 minute class maths session a day and do lots of counting when we line up for lunch. Other than that they access it through CP and we try and do 2 focus activities a week - one will tend to be a game and the other will be some sort of problem solving.

This is what works well for our children. But we didn't do the 10-15 minutes maths right from the beginning of the year - we started from about Christmas I think when we new that the children would be able to cope with it. There's no point (as I'm sure you know) trying to do maths for the sake of it and then actually spend more time asking children to sit still etc... Anyway our maths has worked well as different supply teachers have said how impressed they are with how well they are doing - even our lower ability have been complimented!

Thanks SP61HJ

I just hope the head will understand my point of view. the subject leader is a forceful person!!!!

I will have to do some reaserch before end of half term. Need something offical . Any ideas?

I don't know if this document is of any help. It does talk about the opportunities children in FS should be given and how it needs to be a balance of self initiated and adult directed activities. It does not mention a need for whole class teaching but nor does it say not to but it does reiterate the ethos of FS.

I'd be tempted to point out that whilst she may be an expert in maths you are an expert in EYs and actually working together rather than issuing diktats might be a more professional way forward.

Equally ask her where in the EYFS document she can find it saying that all children have to be together for any focus session.

Or ask her to come and model it for you....

I could go on...

Cx

Have actually emailed, asked her to come in and see how maths works in EYFS.

She wants it all in planning!!!!??????!!! Not possible

Have actually emailed, asked her to come in and see how maths works in EYFS.

She wants it all in planning!!!!??????!!! Not possible

What year does she teach? She does seem rather out of touch. Our planning only shows the focus group activities because you can't plan for those child led moments! What we do have are Continuous Provision sheets which are displayed in each area - maybe having a maths one may keep her happy - you never know.

I agree that the two of you should work together rather than her assuming that what you are doing is wrong! She really should know that the best monitoring is to talk to children about what they know, can do. A piece of paper doesn't exactly give anyone the full picture!

she teaches year 6.

It seems every time i manage to get planning down to a managable size, we have something else to put in.

I don't think the senior staff get continuous provision, all they want is planning and 'discreet' maths and litracey lessons. I don't know why they are called discreet cos they are anthing but!

she teaches year 6.

It seems every time i manage to get planning down to a manageable size, we have something else to put in.

I don't think the senior staff get continuous provision, all they want is planning and 'discreet' maths and literacy lessons. I don't know why they are called discreet cos they are anything but!

I had a feeling you might say year 6! How can a teacher of upper key stage 2 expect to know anything about FS unless he/she spends time there. I think she is obviously doing what lots of people do with FS and tagging us with KS1 when you may expect to see it taught more discretely (although this is not necessarily case in my school) or at least have the discrete planning document. One element of FS that she is obviously not aware of is that each of the six areas is of equal importance - now I know that most people still prioritise CLL and PSRN (us included) but with children in FS you get much more out of them by working in small groups. I have achieved a higher level of maths working with 4-6 children at a time for a maximum of 15 minutes (except for those who want to stay longer!) than I would have done doing two or three days of 'numeracy hour' expecting children to do inane independent activities just so I could tick the box. I think that's what needs to be remembered - it's quality teaching and learning that is important.

Rant over!

• 3 months later...

Hi

I'm a foundation stage coord and we have just merges our F1/F2 and REC to create a Foundation Unit. I'm concerned about maths as it seems to be getting pushed out with all the CLL materials we have to deliver and operate on a 50/50 CI/ADULT for the R, 60/40 for F2 and 70/30 for F1! I was quite happy to use the ABACUS scheme of working but haing looked through it i'm cocerned onthe lack of problem solving involved. I also noticed that the ABACUS materials are not in line with the EYFS but the older Early Learning Goals! Whats th e best way forward?? Any suggestions on decent schemes of work that will lead the way well and ensure good coverage of all three strands and not just NLC (although i do tweak them to suit the children)?? Would appreciate any help!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)