Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Car Seats/ Coaches And Trips

Please can anyone tell me what the law is with regard to taking families, so 0-5 on coaches. Do all children have to be strapped into a car seat? Can children be sat on mums lap with a seat belt over them both- babies included!- can families go on trips without any seat belts providing they don't go on the motorway?

I am getting so much conflicting advice I almost feel that not going anywhere!

Grafetul for replies.

I don't know what the law says but I do know that, if you put an child on an adult's lap with the belt round them both, the child will sustain horrific injuries in any accident. The weight of the adult becomes enormous with the force of the impact and would crush the child against the belt and probably kill them. Whatever you do please don't ever let anyone do this.

Rear Seats in Coaches

Passengers over the age of 14 MUST wear seat belts in the rear coaches. However, all passengers are strongly advised to wear seat belts or the correct child seat on all journeys

THat's all I could find but there is lots of information here:

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm#otherrear

I wouldn't let a child of mine travel in any vehicle without the relevant safety seats/belts.

I haven't been on a coach for ages, do they have seat belts? If so can you use baby seat/booster seat or whatever you would normally use in a car?

Sorry probably not much help

No too sure what the law is but we always use a coach that has seat belts fitted. We would never allow a child to sit on an adult's knee-the seatbelt would not function properly and so would be just as bad as not wearing one. We don't use booster seats etc but we do insist on the seat belts. Most coach firms have belts fitted now.

Linda

I've been on a trip in the past where the coach compay were reluctant to let us use booster seats, I can't remember why, so I'm not being very helpful, but another thing to check!

Hi,

We had our trip to the farm last week and asked the children to bring their car seats with them. We have done this for the past few years and its not a problem.

But the driver of the minibus said by law they do not need to wear them as it is classed as a bus and they can ride the normal bus without car seats but they do HAVE to wear the seat belts if they are fitted, this is by law and the driver will be responsible for any under 14 not wearing a belt. Despite this i still prefered to have the children in either full car seats or boosters as they are in my care and want them as safe and comfortableas they can be.

But i agree with Alison please please do not let them ride behind the seat belt while sat on a parents lap it is seriously the most dangerous thing to do as even a short burst of brake to make the seat belt jolt can cause significant harm to a young child behind the weight of the adult.

Niki x

Edited by Guest

When our children's centre organise trips, they always use coaches with seatbelts and all children have to bring a booster seat. Like others I dont know what the law is but that is our policy. We would not allow a child to sit on an adults lap even with a seat belt around them both.

Hi were all off on our anual pre school trip with the parent s and i am in need of a coach travel risk assessment. Has any on got one they wish to share with me?

Kat

we have been on arranged trips to the forest school and after talking it over with powers that be we dont need booster seats as the children wear lap belts

our age is from 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 years

Edited by Suer

Our coach company said we should NOT use booster seats as the coach just has lap belts. These would not hold a booster seat in position in the event of an accident and so would be highly dangerous.

Gruffalo2 :o

We usually have a coach with lap belts for our children aged 2+ and a mini bus with proper seat belts for the under 2's so that their own car seats can be fitted.

Not sure if there is a law to be honest but that's what we do.

I have had a car seat wich was designed for use with either a full seatbelt or a lap belt. You would nee to check the fitting instructions to know which was safe to use. Not always realistic when you are doing a trip for families.

Have you tried contacting ROSPA for advice?

• 1 month later...

hi ya

We recently went on trip to dudley zoo with parents and pre-school children to take part in barnados toddle, the coach company we booked had 3 point seat belts which is same as in cars and can accomodate car seats as didnt think booster seats could be used until they were 4 years old, correct me if i got this wrong. Some parents just used seat belts and put shoulder strap behind the child and used it as lap belt but could be used for car seats.hope this helps, but certainly not sure if any law, asked development worker and headteacher of school but they both unsure. Interesting topic

Hi,

We had our trip to the farm last week and asked the children to bring their car seats with them. We have done this for the past few years and its not a problem.

But the driver of the minibus said by law they do not need to wear them as it is classed as a bus and they can ride the normal bus without car seats but they do HAVE to wear the seat belts if they are fitted, this is by law and the driver will be responsible for any under 14 not wearing a belt. Despite this i still prefered to have the children in either full car seats or boosters as they are in my care and want them as safe and comfortableas they can be.

But i agree with Alison please please do not let them ride behind the seat belt while sat on a parents lap it is seriously the most dangerous thing to do as even a short burst of brake to make the seat belt jolt can cause significant harm to a young child behind the weight of the adult.

Niki x

Our coach company said same as yours, so we asked children to come with own boosters/car seats, which staff installed for them. However, the time this took was incredible....as a result, i am now not hapy using coaches and would rather undertake local trips only. I reallly believe it is about time that someone (DCSF, HSE, ROSPA) gave some firm advice for preschools/nurseries/schools on this issue as it seems daft that we can all take such differing views...typical of early years.....we all struggle to make the "right decision" and face criticism should things not go well, and yet have so little firm guidance to follow!!!

Edited by eyfs1966

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)