Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Games

hello there I am a student and having observations on several story times and one outside game for Nursery kiddies - the class have half EAL and 5 SEN so it's a challenge to keep them sitting still and foucused . Any suggestions for really engaging carpet time, outside game acitivities would be great

Hi there kv 1

I would suggest singing games like Here We Go Louby Loo, The Farmer's in his Den, In and out the Dusty Bluebells and There Lived a Princess Long ago.

If you can memorise either Goldilocks and the 3 Bears or the Three Little Pigs, or both, or use some props and get the children to help you remember what happened next.

These are all inclusive and appeal to non-English speakers - lots of repetition and actions.

Oh yes, I prefer to call them children - not kiddies, but then perhaps I am old fashioned!

Good luck

Lesley

hello there I am a student and having observations on several story times and one outside game for Nursery kiddies - the class have half EAL and 5 SEN so it's a challenge to keep them sitting still and foucused . Any suggestions for really engaging carpet time, outside game acitivities would be great

Music is always a great leveller - something simple like a tap-sticks activity to some nice background music. Ask the children in turn how they would like to tap their sticks (on the floor, in front of them, above their heads etc) then get the rest of the group to "follow the leader" - body language and visual indicators are great for breaking down spoken language barriers.

DDC

Oh yes, I prefer to call them children - not kiddies, but then perhaps I am old fashioned!

Good luck

Lesley

Welcome to the forum kv 1 and congratulations on your first post. You'll find lots of great suggestions on here!

Lesleypimperne, I agree with you I hate to hear people saying 'kids', just one of my soapboxes I'm afraid!

Edited by Cait

Hi,

I love the term little darlings as well as kids - we are all blessed to be able to work with children and we are all individuals in our terms

- just to say that "whats the Time Mr Wolf" I know has been around for many year, but wow what fun is that game loads of PSRN involved and kids love to be the Wolf and run and chase loads of PD,, PSEd, CLL.

You will find out loads on this forum and welcome.

Dot

Hi

I'd steer clear of trying to keep them sitting still....you can still have engaged and focused children that move around and this is what they NEED to be doing...

With stories try using lots of actions, signing, singing, sound effects, props and puppets so children can and are encouraged to get actively involved with the story.

Try telling one from memory rather than reading it so you can really focus on doing this rather than worrying about the book, and children then dont fight over each other trying to see the pictures!

If at all possible do stories in small groups so the children can interact with you and ask questions etc without having to wait too long.

You could try 'Going on a bear hunt', 'The three billy goats gruff', 'The gingerbread man' etc as simple repetative ones that have lots of opportunities for action, drama and sound.

Thank you everyone for good ideas! Very helpful.

Hi

I'd steer clear of trying to keep them sitting still....you can still have engaged and focused children that move around and this is what they NEED to be doing...

With stories try using lots of actions, signing, singing, sound effects, props and puppets so children can and are encouraged to get actively involved with the story.

Try telling one from memory rather than reading it so you can really focus on doing this rather than worrying about the book, and children then dont fight over each other trying to see the pictures!

If at all possible do stories in small groups so the children can interact with you and ask questions etc without having to wait too long.

You could try 'Going on a bear hunt', 'The three billy goats gruff', 'The gingerbread man' etc as simple repetative ones that have lots of opportunities for action, drama and sound.

Hello kv1 a warm welcome to the forum from me and good luck with your 'observation'. Let us know what you decide to do and how it went won't you. :o

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)