Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Free Flow

We do free flow and encourage children outside as much as poss but wondered if we still have to allow children the choice of outside and in or just outside? We have a great outside area that is very popular but sometimes feel that staff tell the children it is time to go out rather than it being the childs choice. Would love to hear some views.

At the start of the session we ask 'Is anyone wanting to go outside this morning/afternoon?' sometimes everyone wants to stay in - and with the winds we get here on the moor top I can hardly blame them! Of course they're allowed to change their minds through the session, but they must let us know, we don't/can't allow children to just wander out, and I don't think we should. At home you wouldn't let children wander in and out willy nilly at 2 years old! (well I wouldn't, but perhaps I'm just odd)

I'm in reception - we do a variety of things.

We have a play trail that we make all the children go on each week otherwise some children would never improve their climbing/balancing capabilities but most of the rest of the time it is free flow assuming there is an adult available to supervise. Most children still ask but the answer is usually yes. I think if there was anyone we didn't trust then we might have different rules but they are such a great bunch of children and so happy to be at school that we are not worried.

we have a free flow system - we have a variety of activites and resources out there all the time on patio area - the children can then access whichever area they like either in or outdoors- they do not access large equipment or bikes or scooters at this time

we allow the children to use the large play equipment in second half of session as we cant do it any other way - but they are still able to access inside and some of the outdodr activities that are on the patio area - we remove some so children can access bikes etc in second half os session.

no-one tells the children to go out it is thier choice and we find that because it is always there and there is always good setup outside they dont all run to go out as they did before when we only used it for bikes etc.,

hope that helps

Edited by blondie

We are very similar to Blondie, the outside is open all morning, weather permitting but that is something we did before eyfs came along anyway...

Thanks for the replies.

Our children do use the outside most of the day already but what I am unsure about is whether we have to offer inside too. The outside is very popular and sometimes only have a 3 or 4 children wanting to play inside. Would you make sure that the children could use indoors also or just the outside?

Thanks

I would feel quite uncomfortable with insisting that all children are out all the time unless I actually we were actually know as an outdoor nursery like Farley. I believe that children should be given the choice as I'm sure all children go out side at some point even if it is for a focussed group activity so why force them if they would prefer to be inside.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)