Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Panel

Hi

I put a post on here yesterday after questions to ask at an interview. The interview went well and I am hoping to employ the applicant.

However someone has said that I should have had 3 people sitting in on the interview, however as I am the owner (and at present the only member of staff!) I interviewd on my own.

Is this ok or should it have been done differently?

Really hoping someone can put my mind at rest!

Kris

I dont know for certain but I've been interviewed by just one person in the past. If you're the only person available theres nothing you can do about it is there? Its your setting, you know what you want in your staff so I'd guess its just your decision. :o

Guest Wolfie

I wouldn't worry too much about it! It's always good to be able to discuss potential employees with another person, just to get another perspective - two people will always pick up on different things and identify different strengtsh and weaknesses. But it's your business and it's up to you how you go about your recruitment process and how you conduct interviews. When I had my business I always tried to get another person to interview with me but it wasn't always possible - and I never had more than two people!

If you are happy that you are appointing the right person for the job then don't worry! We live and learn! :o

Sometimes we had 2, sometimes 3 but there is no 'official' requirement. Personally I felt that 3 people interviewing some one for the post of assistant was quite intimidating and over the top! Providing you are mindful of equal opportunities and trust your own judgement, then there is nothing wrong with what you have done. :o

Sorry to put a spanner in the works but on our safer recruitment training the other evening we were told never to interview on our own. I hasten to add that this was not said to be a legal requirement, but advised as best practice to ensure that our recruitment procedures were sufficiently robust to prevent unsuitable people being employed by our settings.

However, given that you have done the interviews and all seems well with the candidate, and you will be taking up references and getting a CRB check to make sure they are suitable for the post and to work with children, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As Wolfie says it can be difficult to find a partner to interview with when it is your own business, but like she said, I would never have three!

Incidentally, this training was part of the process of moving towards the introduction of the new Independent Safeguarding Authority and so was very prescribed in what had to be covered, and how. Needless to say it gave me a lot to think about because I'm fairly sure that my 'one man band' recruitment processes need updating!

Good luck kristina - hope your favourite candidate accepts your offer!

Maz