Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Multi-sensory Tent!

I have just "built" a floor to ceiling tent to brighten up the end of a corridor which was wasted space and never got used by the children. Once the sari-covered curtain doors are closed it's pitch-black inside and I'm hoping to develop it as a multi-sensory area for the children to use, with lots of exciting things inside. So far I've got some rope lights, a fibre-optic lamp, a disco ball and some torches.

Has anybody done anything similar? Would really welcome any of your ideas as to what I can get to put inside to make it fab!!! :o

Hi Carly,

Are you going to supervise the children in there, or are you looking for stuff that they will explore on their own? Are they reception children or do you work in a nursery?

Welcome to the site :D

Thanks for the smiley welcome! I work in an Early Years' Unit, so both Nursery and Reception. Although I would love for the children to be able to use it on their own, I think the nature of it might prescribe that an adult would need to be present - what with using electricals etc. Also not sure the little darlings could be trusted on their own in the dark!!! I'm already on my second fibre optic lamp - the first one was destroyed by someone who got a little snip-happy with a pair of scissors!

Unwanted CD's are effective, either hanging or stuck to wall/surface.

How about swatches of fabric such as suede, fur fabric, corduroy, satin, etc all the ones with diffrent textures.

Wind chimes, I know there wont be wind but am sure the children would love touching them to make them chime!

Er... still thinking

Oh maybe some bags of pot pouri or herbs hanging or anything else that smells nice!

Hi CurlyCarly

Welcome from me too! This sounds like a lovely idea - I teach Reception and today some of the boys were looking at a torch I was using and decided to go 'under my chair' to have a look in the dark - I pulled out my chair which has a huge blanket on it and we had a look at some fibre optics (supervised by me!)

Making shadows using an OHP is a nice one, different coloured celophane (sp?) for changing the colour of the light, fairy lights, glowsticks

Could you extend the tent to have other senses stinulated?

sounds - music, instruments (real and homemade), chimes and rainsticks are nice

smells - aromatherepy oils - you can put a few drops in playdough too.

touch - children could guess the textures inside boxes

Hope these help

We made a sensory 'room'. We have a small room (no natural light) where we store a lot of our equipment and once most of it is out for the morning there is easily space for 4 children and two adults to go and lounge or sit on the floor. We laid big beanbags/ cushions on the floor and had relaxing music playing quietly. There were two lava lamps, a disco light different lamps that slowly changed colours and shiny tinsel hanging. We told the children that it was a quiet room and even the most boisterous child laid down and 'listened to the quiet'.

We did this as part of our Light and Dark topic and the children loved it and wanted to go into our 'sensory' room again. I borrowed the equipment from various people as I didn't have any of my own, so I suppose, if we are going to do it again, which I hope to, then I had better think about buying some of the equipment myself.

Sue J

What about some large patch work cushions made from different textured fabrics. A quilt with pockets with things inside and some feely boxes/bags.

Sounds like lots of fun.

Hi CurlyCarly! What a great user name. :D Do I take it you have curly hair or dead straight hair? :o

There was a thread some time ago about multi sensory equipment. I'm afraid I'm in a bit of a hurry but you could use the search facility to try to find it. :)

What about using some luminous things to hang down, I have seen stars in a toy shop recently. You could then enter it in the dark, lie down and look at the stars !

:)

Ive also got battery operated tree lights . I bought them from a small electrical shop in a parade of shops near where I live. I only tried there as a last resort as I had been to the big places and garden centres with no luck -

and there they were right under my nose!!! :D

Sue J

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)