Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Another Interview One!

Hey!

I have an interview on Wednesday, and have just had a call saying that they would like to see a lesson for recpetion, promoting speaking and listening.

Its such a huuuge spectrum that I have absolutely no idea where to start, so could anyone offer any suggestions please?? Things that the Head would like to see, any tips when you don't know a class?

Becky

x :o

How about a good circle time type of activity when they have to speak and listen. Or a game along the lines of 'My granny went to market and bought something beginning with each letter of the alphabet in turn.

Edited by Cait

How about having something wrapped up in shiny crinkle paper / or a basket in the middle of a circle / large envelope addresses to the class etc etc hopefully children will be interested and want to know what it is. If not then start by asking the children what they think may be in the wrapping, basket etc . Take their ideas and then slowly reveal the surprise and hopefully as you have done this they have almost come up with what is inside. Finish by reading a story or singing a song about the item wrapped up etc.

So you have a bag / parcel etc and the children suggest what may be inside etc.

then you take out a garden trowel / discussion ensues about what it is and what else may be in there

next take out a packet of seeds more discussion

then some silver bells listeen to the sound make the sound follow a rhythm etc

then some shells

then a paper chain of pretty maids

Finish the session by all singing Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Only my thoughts a bit rambling but may help may not!

Involve talk partmers (bit obvious I know)

Or how about teacher in role? based around a popular story?

Good Luck!

Thank you.

I'm just a little concerned that the children will be sat on the carpet for too long - something which I find it very difficult to avoid sometimes!!

I love the idea of the shiny box, with some stuff inside it.

If I model talk with the children first, about coming up with a story about how it got there, then would I be ok to send the children off in pairs to come up with a story about where it came from and why?

Is this too much to ask from a class of reception children? Its been so long since I've been in a straight reception class!!!

:D

xx

Have you not been given any time frame for this?

As you say you do not want to be sitting for too long but I think your story idea might be a bit difficult. Can you make your activity interactive?

Good luck.

Thanks, ok then, will have a think!!

Love the idea of the box, any ideas how could I get the children working in small groups with that?

I have 20-30 mins.

xxx

think the box idea is great so depending on what you put in the box could you then ask small groups to think about what was in there then to find something that would be relevant to that - these things you could have placed earlier one in each area - so you unwrap the spade , fork - discuss where and when these are used the children go inot their allocated area to find something they might use in the garden - watering can, seeds etc they return with their object and talk about it and its use

another one could be cookery book,apron -then you place rolling pin,oven gloves etc in allocated areas - hope that makes sense

Edited by blondie

Good luck!

I think the 'doing' bit is really important. We do talk-partners in our class - but don't know if I will do this when I'm being observed in another class - as sometimes the children can be shy/not very communicative. Give them something to do - and usually you can't stop children talking!

Will be thinking of you.

I wouldn't imagine the activity being more than say 20 mins and as you bring each item out of the box the children could do actions so for example digging with the trowel so you model digging and they all get a chance to get up and dig dig dig and so with each item.

For me the key thing is engagement. With children you don't know i would keep it simple and active!

good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)