Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How On Earth......

help i'm really struggling.....

Can i ask what type of opportunities you provide to help your children chieve the profile point shows an understanding of how information can be found in non-fiction texts to answer questions about where, why who and how? when i see this point i just thnk how on earth am i going to see children doing this in their free play?

Many Thanks

Lola

Children in my Preschoool often access non-fiction texts, manly about dinosaurs it has to be said. There are loads of books in the quiet area and they sit studying them. They know a lot about them and pass knowledge to each other, occasionally coming to ask something. I suppose if we had internet then they'd be looking on there too. Do none of your children exhibit this type of behaviour?

We too see lots of non fiction book use about dinosaurs!!!!!!!!!

But often they will seek out books which give them more knowledge about whatever they are interested in at that point.

Ie bugs!!! Butterflies. Vehicles. Construction.

I think sometimes you have to introduce these books and then let them then seek them is they wish to!!

In my setting the children use non-fiction books and magazines either just to sit and look through or they bring them to me to share.

We have posters about wildlife up and we have a pile of 'Learning is fun' magazines.

We have some old car magazines with information they they enjoy sharing (well the boys do anyway!).

The 'I can draw' books are great for 'how'.

I just asked my six year old what books she uses to find information and she went straight off to get the children's encyclopedia. Really surprised me as I have never even opened it so I didn't think it really got used. Perhaps you should do some obs and see if this is happening in your setting?

I used to place my non fiction books all around the setting, for example I had 'discovery draws' these included all sorts of natural objects including shells, also in the draw was a book about the different types of shells.

In the art area, have books about different shades of colour. (children could make their own 'reference' books, laminate for easy wipe clean and bind)

The Sand area have a factual book which shows which animals live in the sand. Maybe one about different types of stones/rocks which could be hidden in the sand for the children to discover and match to the book.

In the writing area, books that show different types of writing / fonts (you could make these books yourself)

In the home corner I had a 'home' encyclopedia (spl) which showed labelled pictures of various items found around the home (in alphabetical order).

I had a book illustrating and naming various instruments in the music area, plus a book of songs.

Hope this gives you some ideas. The children would access all these books whilst playing in the relevant area.

Peggy

Some really good ideas have been given for integrating non-fiction books into all opportunities. If they are going to do this in their free play they will have had to have plenty of experience and modelling of using non-fiction books by the adults.

In Reception you would use non-fiction for guided and shared reading sessions. Children should be given lots of opportunities to see how we use non-fiction books by adults modelling their use to find things out. In my classroom the children easily achieved this because we were always using non-fiction. Many boys in particular would choose non-fiction to look at or take home (my own two sons preferred non-fiction for years and would go to sleep clutching an encylopedia). In small group guided writing sessions you could make non-fiction books so that the children understand how these books answer questions.

You may also consider having fiction and non-fiction in two separate boxes or units and the children get involved in sorting them. Visits to the local library will help with this.

This point will be achieved by modelling, resourcing and creative displays. It should start from the moment they enter Reception and not be left until the end of the year.

Hope that is slightly useful???

Ive got my books sorted into fiction, non fiction and rhyming books - all the books have little labels on - r for rhyming books, n for non fiction, and f for fiction books. We talked lots with the childrne about sorting the books and they do this at tidy up time - if we get new books it also means we can have a discussion about which sticker it needs on it too which is useful! I also display non fiction books in the relevant areas - we have books about materials in the investigation area at the moment, books about different animals in the role play area as it is a vets and most successfully near our african land snail and goldfish (who was new last week) i have books from the pet shop about them. The goldfish book hasnt been put down since it was bought and has led to us learning some very interesting things that even I didn't know about fish during story times!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)