Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Is A Suitable Person?

Hi was wondering hipothetically of course!!! (THINK THATS WRONG SPELLING SORRY)If a member of staff disclosed to you that they were depressed and on treatment by the doctor, would this member of staff be a suitable person???? Think I have to explain a little, doing this for a evaluation and would like some input from others. As in perspective of what others would do.

Kat

Edited by Guest

Hi Kat - if I employed a person who was suffering from depression then I would hope that I would be supportive and know everythink about their condition to ensure they were fit for their position and also to give them personal support as well.

None of us know when we could get depressed and if you look a current research it is more common than we think.

Dot

i think there probably are staff in that situation - depressed and on medication. i think that i would also consider how that person was working.whether it affected thier work and relationships with the children.it is a very hard scenario but each caes would be different as it would affect staff in different ways and their attitude would be different in each case.

dont know if that much help but depression affects people in differnet ways and with medication to help the person may be absolutley fine and without the disclosure you might never have known about it.

also perhaps it could depend on whether the depression was due to a change of circumstances at home - death in the family,divorce etc or if it was a ongoing long standing depression that had deeper problems.

sorry dont think thats much help at all x

Hi,

from a personal viewpoint, when i became the manager at the nursery i was suffering depression (for a whole host of reasons), i was on medication for it and receiving frequent counselling.

I was honest and open with my employers about it all, well as much as they needed to know... i.e how the depression affected me day to day wise, they did not need to know the route causes of the depression.

i was deemed a suitable person by ofsted, (who also knew about it) and by the employers.

I received the offer of support if i wanted via a designated person (my boss), but since i was in counselling i did not really need that support, tho it was great to have it on offer.

slight tangent, but yes even in the depths of depression linked to my personal life i was still perfectly capable and able to do my job. (in fact my job probably helped to keep me sane)

hope that helps????

Dawn

Edited by Guest

Back in the olden days you couldn't be a childcare practitioner if you'd suffered from depression - and that included post natal depression, as you were considered 'unstable'. I'd like to think that's not the case any more

Dawn what a lovely tale of achievement, so glad you shared that, i have not been in that position myself or with any of my staff but yours is a story to remeber if i come accross this

thank you