Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can Babies Play With Salt Dough?

As long as they are watched to ensure they don't eat it and wash hands after, do people let babies play with it?

Well I don't see why not - they are going to find out it's yukky fairly quickly. If you are worried make it without the salt - like pastry dough

Actually thinking about it - that might be a better plan - they may rub it in their eyes, it's not just eating it, is it?

Edited by Cait

I wonder if pastry dough keeps as well. Will try and find a recipe unless someone already has a good one that's tried and tested. I suppose bread dough is another option. Thanks - you've got me thinking!

I wouldn't be too worried about the salt content as long as you are watching for it going in their mouths. I try to let babies play with as many different textures as possible including all sorts of dough.

I do see what Cait means about rubbing it in their eyes though. It's not happened so far but that's not to say it won't.

Why do people always want dough to 'keep'? We use ours for a very short time, after they've all sneezed into it, wiped their noses with their hands and continued playing with it, dropped bits on the floor and reincorporated it..... yuk! Ours is chucked out after a week max!

Same here - we do consider hygiene as well! I was only thinking whether it had to be made that day - I know when I make pizza dough at home, after one night in the fridge it gets very sticky (which is a learning experience in itself but not the one I am wanting for this particular activity!). Sorted now anyway, so thanks for replies

I usually make a large amount of dough and split it. Some goes in the fridge and a small amount to play with straight away. Once it has been played with it goes in the bin.

I know it is probably not environmentally friendly to throw it away but when they are little their hands are in their mouth all of the time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)